Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what I am going to do with it

Default Not sure what I am going to do with it

I just picked up a 1957 Series 1 88" locally. Overall it is in great shape and I have not found any rust. It is originally from Nevada but it has not been registered since 1986. It appears to be complete for the most part. It has been sitting so long that the gasoline has turned into tar.

I spent all day yesterday cleaning it out. It was full of dirt and grime and just nasty. Some of the red paint is coming off and a cool dark green color is underneath. I think this dark green is the original color.

Also, it has a 1972 Ford 2.0L Pinto engine in it. I am a little bummed that it is not all original but so be it. I am not even sure if I want to get the Pinto engine running or not. I can turn it over and the oil looks good.

Any thoughts?

Chicks dig a pink rover.

That's a pretty cool find. Too bad about the engine, but the 1600 cross-flow is a good engine. Loose that front bumper.

Ha! I love it like it is. Now THAT'S patina! I'd get it running and drive it. But I'm not much of a purist.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys View Post
    That's a pretty cool find. Too bad about the engine, but the 1600 cross-flow is a good engine. Loose that front bumper.
    Losing that front bumper will probably raise the top speed, lighten the steering and knock a few seconds from your 0-60 speed! (if it gets to 60)
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by roverjohn View Post

Any thoughts?
    sell it to me

or just get it running, the truck will tell you what it needs from there
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

trade you a project cruiser

Default Looking good!

Hmm, as I recall it had a useless bald tire that is now off the bonnet now so this is post-car wash? I was kid of hoping that the water would wash that brushed on paint off of it.

I say leave the front bumper - it is part of its history. And If you trade it to Ike hold out for the 5 door he has (had?) on LRE.
    1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
    1997 D-90
    "Fear profits man, nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by czenkov View Post
    Hmm, as I recall it had a useless bald tire that is now off the bonnet now so this is post-car wash? I was kid of hoping that the water would wash that brushed on paint off of it.

I say leave the front bumper - it is part of its history. And If you trade it to Ike hold out for the 5 door he has (had?) on LRE.
    Spare is off and in the back. A lot of the red paint on the inside flaked off really easily. It took no effort at all. The outside paint is a different story. I have not pressure washed it yet but I think some of it might come off with a good high pressure washer. My garden hose took off most of the paint on the galvinizing.

Series 1 owners: Are brakes and axle parts readily available? I know the 1's are quite different than the Series 2+

I think I might see if the 2.0L Pinto engine runs and go from there. If it does, I may throw some money into the brakes and get it running/driving.