Thread: D1 vs D2 seats

Default D1 vs D2 seats

I own a 1998 D1 LSE with electric seats. As I was looking at a few seat covers I realized most D1 seat covers were designed for the seats with the handles near the head rest. My seats have the padded headrest with no handles. Are D1 LSE seats the same as the later standard D2 seats?
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

no, D2 seats have handles too. LSE seats were specific to the 98 50th anniversary and the same as RR except for the headrests are not dished on top and seat switches are not on the seat base. Be thankful, these seats wear 10 times better than the other disco leather seats.... You'll have to find specific covers from LR or fit generic bucket seat covers...
    2003 Disco SE7 expedition prepped
    1998 Disco LSE 7 50th anniversary Baluga Black
    1996 Disco XD Trek number 4 and Camel Selections
    1969 Series 2A 109

I just bought escape gear d2 seat covers to fit the d1 LSE seats since it looked a bit closer. Do you think I could get a decent fit? If not I might just look for used d2 seats.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

Trek,
    Do you happen to know if the wiring is the same between the D1 LSE seat and the D2 seat? I might have a line on cheap D2 seats that will work with my covers.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

I don't, I know the switches are very similar though. I've never had to take them apart to see if the plugs match. I do know the D2 power seat switches are BMW, not sure about the D1 although it is possible...BMW has, for years, made ergonomic seat switches that are easy to figure out in the dark, even if you do not know the car. Switches are shaped like the bottom and back of the seat and move accordingly... Definetly not a British design lol. D1 and D2 seats are a little different, but should bolt in the same. Personally, I like the LSE seats a bit better than the seats in the D2. The D2 leather will also wear like iron compared to the standard leather seat in the D1. No idea why, but they never wore well even when fairly new. Definetly be a worthwhile upgrade if you had the standard D1 seat, but you don't... Rear seats are different too between D1 and D2 but look like they should fit also. Difference is the release is on the car and on D2 the release is on the seat... I bet the only thing you would have to change to make rear D2 seats work is the striker on the body to just have the pin rather than the pin and locking cam which is there now... If you remind me, I will take some pictures of both trucks showing the arrangement and post them.
    1969 Series 2A 109

Dump the seats and get a set of used manual seats. The motors are just going to break anyways.

Then give me your seat covers for my D2....
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Default LSE Seats

Well my D2 Escape Gear seat covers came in and didnt fit the LSE seats. I am thinking I will pick up a set of cheap D2 seats and try to install them in my D1. I hope its a direct bolt up job with no mods required. I attached a photo of my current seats.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by msggunny View Post
    Dump the seats and get a set of used manual seats. The motors are just going to break anyways.

Then give me your seat covers for my D2....
    I have a 98 with 205k and a 03 with 135k and neither has ever had power seat problems. The manuals in my 96 are hard to come by.
    1969 Series 2A 109