Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of advice buying a 1969 IIA 88

Default In need of advice buying a 1969 IIA 88

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some advice from you guys on here before I close the deal on a IIA that has been sitting for 4 years..

I'm not completely new to projects as I restored my old Honda bike and went through a frame swap on my Jeep YJ, but I am new to LR in general. The Series IIA seems to have nothing in common with my old wrangler, one of the most noticeable in my eyes is the a availability of parts...

I read the handy articles that some of you posted on here with tips for buying a series rover. But I was hoping you guys could chime in my case..

Here are a few pics..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375790894.706050.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	8583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375790918.916155.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	8584

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375790939.582893.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	8585

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375790957.832866.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	8586

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375790978.983028.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	8587

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375790998.916920.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	8588

As you could see it does need frame work but the rig does run and drive despite sitting for 4 years.. Im not too sure if I want to get into another frame swap, I had to replace a lot of parts on my YJ as I swapped the frame, I am little afraid that It will be impossible to find such parts for this rig..

It has 79k miles showing on the odometer, I can take it home for $1000. What do you guys think, it is worth it? My main concern is finding parts..

Any advice will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Finding original parts might be tough, finding aftermarket parts is a little easier.

Anyway, that truck looks rough.......really rough. The Frame looks like toast, or at least those cross members and outriggers look shot. Can you tell what the bulkhead looks like?

If $1000 is all you have (initial money) and you are dying to get into a Series maybe, but you are going to have one hell of a project.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
    Finding original parts might be tough, finding aftermarket parts is a little easier.

Anyway, that truck looks rough.......really rough. The Frame looks like toast, or at least those cross members and outriggers look shot. Can you tell what the bulkhead looks like?

If $1000 is all you have (initial money) and you are dying to get into a Series maybe, but you are going to have one hell of a project.
    Dint get a change to take a look at that, I will be making a trip to the lot where it sits to peep the swivels as well.

Im not going to lie but I've always read up on the old landy's and always wanted one, but either couldn't find one or was too busy with my studies to get into such project.. Now that I found one i don't want to run into a full restoration project, even though it might be the only real option for this rover..

I hate half ass work but I was wondering if patching and replacing sections of the frame could do the trick for now until I graduate College.. Im already considering a galvanized frame and disc conversion a year or so from now.

OK, my 2cents... Walk away, $1000 for a shakey pile of parts. Save up as much as you can for a good, running, Series. A fixer-upper will; 1. Never get done (and lose you lots of money and time) -or- 2. Cost you more in time and money than if you bought a good one.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Quote Originally Posted by mearstrae View Post
    OK, my 2cents... Walk away, $1000 for a shakey pile of parts. Save up as much as you can for a good, running, Series. A fixer-upper will; 1. Never get done (and lose you lots of money and time) -or- 2. Cost you more in time and money than if you bought a good one.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S
    Thanks for the advice, it is what I'm close to doing. As much as I want it, I'm starting to convince myself that it isn't worth it.. Maybe if I can talk the guy down to $400 or so, it has an overdrive and all. Maybe I'll throw the money into a Richards galvanized frame.

You need probably $7-8k by the time you are done with that one..

At $1000, it is a parts truck, and nothing more. there are certainly $1000 worth of parts there, as a working overdrive is worth around $700, and an engine is around $300, and then you have the axles, dash gauges etc.

It is salvageable, but not without a lot of work on your part, and since you say you don't want to get into a frame swap, this is likely not the truck for you. Take your $5-7,000, and find a good running truck that is already registered, but needs work. They are out there, and near you as well. Check in the classifieds on craigslist, here, LRX, etc. and be patient. it took me 6 years to find what I wanted, and not want to sell it while trying to get it roadworthy.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

I'd offer 800 cash. Buy it not as a resto candidate but as a parts resource. Keep looking for your "prince", as this one is a frog.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    I'd offer 800 cash. Buy it not as a resto candidate but as a parts resource. Keep looking for your "prince", as this one is a frog.
    I was thinking about patching it around and use it as a yard truck until I could get a hold of a rig with less miles.
    Are any of you guys using these to plow snow?
    We have a 150ft driveway, If I could use it to clear it up after storms it might come in handy. We have to get a new snowblower for this winter anyway..

Not sure that frame could handle a plow.
    If you buy it I'm interested in purchasing the hoop set from you.
    pb

Quote Originally Posted by meboosta View Post
    I was thinking about patching it around and use it as a yard truck until I could get a hold of a rig with less miles.
    Are any of you guys using these to plow snow?
    We have a 150ft driveway, If I could use it to clear it up after storms it might come in handy. We have to get a new snowblower for this winter anyway..