Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ok, thank you for the tip! I will give it a try tomorrow! so my best guess is that I have multiple issues going on... I think I have a leak somewhere in the clutch hydraulic system AND also have the pressure plate / clutch issue.... the guy I bought the vehicle from did a bunch of work to get it cleaned up, but he did leave a bunch of original parts. The rear axles went out a few weeks ago on a trail ride, so guessing that this clutch is likely an original as well and in need of replacement. The slave and master cylinder however really perplex me because even after bleeding it I just can't seem to find any leaks. So not sure where my pressure is leaving the system. Wondering if there is a way to somehow check these components? Like a dye that you could add to the system that shows up under a blacklight maybe? Wondering if there are any good suggestions of ways to find the leak apart from replacing each component one by one.....
    Nick Hauck
    '69 S2A 88 RHD

Inside the slave and master there are rubber cup shaped seals that push the fluid. It is possible the fluid is leaking past those seals so no pressure is built. Same idea behind a brake wheel cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    Have you checked your fluid level? Could be the master cylinder is leaking. Crawl underneath and look. I think its on the right side of the transmission.
    The master cylinder is on the bulkhead at the clutch tower, the slave cylinder is on the right side of transmission.

Check that one of the pins (65) through the couplings sleeve (64) , that transmits the rotary motion to the release bearing hasn't partially broken . If I remember correctly if one end of the pin breaks off, the clutch pedal will feel different and engagement point will change as well . There are two pins at 90 degrees to each other ,one each end of the sleeve. The parts are relatively cheap but its fiddly to get at. The spring (68) was deleted on later models . Picture out of early S2A manual For info Clevis 53 is connected to the hydraulic slave cylinder .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201116_162100.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	13512
    Last edited by roverp480; 11-17-2020 at 04:27 AM.

First check fluid level. Then look for any leaking, at master, and slave. There is an adjustment that is clearly explained in the Green Bibles. Also check to see that the pedal has the returns springs, they can come loose. The problem is most likely in the linkage, and an adjustment is necessary. Slave cylindar at transmission does have a bleed nipple and can be bled.

it can bypass (go from hi pressure area to low pressure area) in the master cylinder and you may not notice it till it starts coming out of the rear of the master cylinder (inside down the fire wall) .... in which case you'll be adding fluid too. if it bypasses at the slave cylinder then both sides of the slave cylinder will fill with fluid with the obvious result.
    if the wheel cylinders are leaking you'll eventually see it running out of the brake drum. ,
    my guess is you either have a heck of a lot of air in there (which isn't too hard to acomplish) or you are bypassing pressure at the pressure differential points.