Seat Belt , Sholder Belt mount options for a Series 88 soft top.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJR
    2nd Gear
    • Dec 2006

Seat Belt , Sholder Belt mount options for a Series 88 soft top.

Good evening, I'm looking for some product feedback. For a Series III 88 with a soft top, does anyone have any positive or negative experience (fitment, quality, heft...etc?) with either of the following shoulder harness mounting option offer by RN?

Raised Seat Belt Bracket Set Series & Defender
    Model #: RNA0016
    Raised Seat Belt Bracket Set Series & Defender RNA0016 | Rovers North - Land Rover Parts and Accessories Since 1979

Soft Top Front Seat Belt Bar For Defender Series
    Model #: EXT500-1
    Exmoor Trim Icon Exmoor Trim Part
    Soft Top Front Seat Belt Bar For Defender Series EXT500-1 | Rovers North - Land Rover Parts and Accessories Since 1979

I've seen online videos of the one piece EXT500-1 used in restorations, and it looks decent, but the lateral cross bar seems like it could be in the way ?

Any installed pics of the single stanchion , 3-legged style to reference?

Thanks in advance... TJR
  • IppoJ
    Low Range
    • Nov 2022

Wondering the same thing.
    I'd like shoulder belts but I don't want it to be a big ordeal installing them.

Comment

• roverp480
      3rd Gear
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by IppoJ
      Wondering the same thing.
      I'd like shoulder belts but I don't want it to be a big ordeal installing them.
      Original 3 point Belts for the S2/2A and indeed early S3 , had the shoulder belt attached to the rear tub capping but its not recommended now as the loading pulls you down in the seat rather than restraining forward movement.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20230126_185411.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	170376

Comment

• IppoJ
        Low Range
        • Nov 2022

Rovers North has a hoop set for shoulder belts but I couldn't find an installed photo.

Comment

• williamdmann
          Low Range
          • May 2022

Hey TJR,

I just bought the Rovers North set and am curious if you ended up going that route? How was the installation process? Any tips or guidance?

Thanks!

Comment

• jp-
            5th Gear
            • Oct 2006

I installed the smaller individual side bars. I like them. But the positioning of the reel is very tight in a 109" if you are running a bed mounted spare tire. I didn't want the one with the cross bar because it impedes climbing into the bed if you don't want to undo the rear flap for the kids to get in.

My pics are at the bottom of this thread.
            Another project not quite finished, but usable for now... Now that my sons and wife have taken to driving my '88, I decided I should at least make a nod to safety. A customer of mine had bought this seatbelt system for to install in his Santana and liked the way it was designed. So he bought one for me to put in my own Rover.
            61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
            66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
            66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
            67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
            88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• roverp480
              3rd Gear
              • Jul 2020

I am not sure if these parts are still available but this is what I used on my last S3 back in the 1980's. It allows the reel to fit to the rear tub capping on 88" vehicles . The belt reel was designed to fit tilted forward at an angle so the belt webbing had a strait run to the upper anchorage.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Web capture_15-11-2023_17137_.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	170442
              This shows the actual parts which I am sure could be reproduced - Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	170443
              Last edited by roverp480; 11-18-2023, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• TJR
                2nd Gear
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by williamdmann
                Hey TJR,

I just bought the Rovers North set and am curious if you ended up going that route? How was the installation process? Any tips or guidance?

Thanks!
                I also ended up buying the 3-legged L&R galv. mounts from RN, but I have not installed them yet.

Comment

• TJR
                  2nd Gear
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by roverp480
                  I am not sure if these parts are still available but this is what I used on my last S3 back in the 1980's. It allows the reel to fit to the rear tub capping on 88" vehicles . The belt reel was designed to fit tilted forward at an angle so the belt webbing had a strait run to the upper anchorage.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]14447[/ATTACH]
                  This shows the actual parts which I am sure could be reproduced - [ATTACH=CONFIG]14448[/ATTACH]
                  I like that, thank you.. I should have looked at my parts book too.

Comment

Working...