Thread: Replacing transfer case

Default Replacing transfer case

I am going to swap in a Suffix B transfer case this weekend. Any Gotcha's to look out for. I have the brake off, the intermediate shaft and gear cluster out etc. of the one going in. My frame has a removeable cross member as well. With the gears out, brake off and the rear cover off I was surprised how manageable the weight becomes.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

When you finish you can drive over to my place and take care of mine. Just saying - if it's that managable....

I think I have a suffix b. Was wondering if I could use the low from that in my high ratio.... Just thinking.

Unfortunately you can't combine the lo from a Suffix B with the Hi Ratio transfer case. There has been talk of a over/underdrive for a series through, the years but no one has ever brought one to the market. The 2.89 lo behind a series III gearbox gives a nice 23% reduction though and a 50:1 1st gear.

I don't like the studs they use for the mounting brackets. Might want to change over to 7/16 x 14 bolt with a lock washer.

Throw in a magnetic check plug. (I use them on all the gear-filled places on my truck.)

The cleavis pins on the e-brake can be a pain.

The long shift-limit bolt that goes through the case can be a pain too. Make sure you lube it up with some penatrating oil.

Put on of my lower pans on! The tin ones suck.

Take the right floor pan out too. It helps to hook up the levers and front drive shaft.

jim

EDIT: Hey Kevin, are you playing in Kingston this weekend?

EDIT, EDIT: Ah fer cryin' out loud....it was last week! That's the second time I've missed it....
    Last edited by Mercedesrover; 03-14-2008 at 08:43 AM.

Kingston???

The nice thing is I have plenty of room underneath with my lift and tires. Since the t case was out recently the fasteners on the bits like the ebrake pivot should be easier.

Shift limit bolt? Clarification please.

At the top, humpy part of the t-case is a long 1/4x28 screw with a lock not that adjusts the 3rd gear throw. It's got a screwdriver slot carved in the end of the screw that you can mangle if you're not carefull. Not the position/length of that screw and make sure it's back in the same spot when you put things back together.

minor point but that is the reverse stop screw, not 3rd gear.

don't recall the instructions for setting it but I have seen one where the nut spun away from the case allowing the screw to spin itself in until reverse was no longer selectable.

caused quite a panic for the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesrover
    At the top, humpy part of the t-case is a long 1/4x28 screw with a lock not that adjusts the 3rd gear throw. It's got a screwdriver slot carved in the end of the screw that you can mangle if you're not carefull. Not the position/length of that screw and make sure it's back in the same spot when you put things back together.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."