Thread: Distributor, coil, Electronic Ignition Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Distributor, coil, Electronic Ignition Question

Truck is a 66' 2a that has been switched to Negative Earth by the previous owner (who was know to screw stuff up). I recently removed the old electronic ignition (crane type, externally mounted, works fine, if you want it get ahold of me. I just wanted the engine bay to appear more original) and replaced it with a Pertronix. I read something saying that when switching to negative earth you must switch the leads @ the coil to avoid getting a weak spark. Right now I have the white wire from the factory harness AND the positive wire from the Pertronix going to the coil POSITIVE. Coil Negative goes to the Pertronix negative. Runs fine I am just curious if I am getting a weak spark and am not aware of it. Would the electronic ignition solve that by itself? Can I measure the coil output with a multimeter? If so what am I looking for?
    Thanks again in advance.
    Nor-Cal
    67' 88"

<<Can I measure the coil output with a multimeter?>>

You can test the coil with a multimeter, but I'm not sure you want to measure the output with one.

i could never tell the difference. when it wasn't running i switch the to low volt coil wire arond, still no start. once out of curiosity i switch 'em when it was running...well i shut it down 1st then switch 'em, started it up and couldn't tell the difference
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)