Thread: Stripping galvanized parts

Default Stripping galvanized parts

I'm sure the question's been answered before, but are there any dos and don'ts for getting paint off galvanized trim? I've got some generic gel stripper I was going to try, and the paint is already peeling and flaking pretty bad so I'm hoping it'll be relatively easy going, but advice is appreciated.
    '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.

Superstator,
    Try masking tape if its flaking.

After putting blue painters tape on my 'silver painted' trim for a parade I found that when I pulled it off most of the flaking paint came right off. So now I am just using tape to pull it off and will probably use something like Citristrip to take the remainder off or wait until the rest peels.
    John

i used some stripper from yall'mart, it was in a spray can, and didnt hurt the trim in any way. the paint came right off!

I'm using Aircraft Paint Stripper (in spray can from Wally World) to strip the paint off my galvanized pieces. It works great, but must be about 70 degrees F or warmer when you use it.

I would use one of those 'plastic' scuff pads, like a 3M scotchbrite pad. Do *not* use steel wool, it'll take the zinc off, too.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

I have stripped mine with the aircraft paint remover and everything looks fine. It did not remove any of the galvanizing finish. I did this all before i knew that the galvanziers will actually strip them in a chemical bath before they re-galvanize it.

If you are wanting to have the pieces look "new" again you might think about pulling them all off and having them galvanized again. Its not that expensive to do...mine will be close to $200. However, its a pain to get all the hammer and pop rivets off...and I am sure excited about replacing all the rivets to get them back on (said with sarcasm).

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB