Thread: Beehive light disassembly

Default Beehive light disassembly

How do the beehive lights come apart? I need to take mine off but the bolt is spinning, and I don't see any screw heads.
    Thanks!

Like these glass ones?

If so they are held on like a tuperware lid, you could try to gently pry the rubber seal back withy a small screwdriver.

-Jeff

This is quite common. The nut has rusted to the stud and the stud is either swaged or resistance welded to the backing plate. When the nut rusts to the stud that connection fails and the stud/nut assembly just spins. I usually just drill it out from the front then reinstall it with a suitible size machine screw. Don't forget the anti-seize.
    Jason T.

I wasn't sure how to get the glass off. I guess you simply pry it off?

Yes, you'll see that there are two rubber rings: the outer one holds on the chrome ring and the inner one holds on the glass itself. Use some lubricant and a thin screwdriver or knife to slip out the pieces.

I had to replace one of mine, too. It's slow going when it's all corroded in place but it will come off.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com