Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rover is Shedding

Default Rover is Shedding

My paint is quickly fading away. Offhand does anyone know if this is true limestone? If so I'll just respray it. It seems to be a yellower (?) color though. I had shoulder surgery recently so I literally can't move the thing into a more protected spot...

'67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

It does look like the original limestone. The lighter shade might be a result of fading over the decades.

I hope your shoulder heals quickly.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Aronson
    It does look like the original limestone. The lighter shade might be a result of fading over the decades.

I hope your shoulder heals quickly.

Jeff
    thanks Jeff. it's just the rear door and front fender that are cracking and peeling so I'm hoping I can do the respray and be good. probably not that easy...

this was a respray from the past owner so I think it's only 10-15 yrs old...the cold weather seems to have quickly killed it..
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Did you spill any syrup on that paint? Looks like Rover sunfaded sandstone to me,
    Jim Wolf

Make sure you use an etch primer and the paint will stick better.
    Jim

The paint is also chipping off my ambulance, and under the several coats of squaddie green/tan/white is the most perfect bronze green. Now if I could only figure out how to get all the squaddie paint off without hurting the factory paint underneath.

Jasred
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

Quote Originally Posted by KingSlug
    The paint is also chipping off my ambulance, and under the several coats of squaddie green/tan/white is the most perfect bronze green. Now if I could only figure out how to get all the squaddie paint off without hurting the factory paint underneath.
    Sounds like all you need is time and patience and it'll do it by itself!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Your roof and side window panel look like limestone, but I agree with you; the tub and rear door do look like they are too yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSlug
    Now if I could only figure out how to get all the squaddie paint off without hurting the factory paint underneath.
    Not to get too far off topic, but I think I may have found your answer. I started stripping the paint on my Lightweight. A guy at work gave me a bottle of CitriStrip. It takes off everything BUT the factory applied paint! One application lifted all the military-applied paint.
    Now I just have to decide if I should leave the factory paint as a base for my re-spray or use Aircraft Paint Stripper to get down to bare metal. I'm thinking the best approach is bare metal, etch primer, then CARC substitute flat tan.

That paint sure does look just like the Rustoleum Almond gloss in a rattle can that I'm painting mine with.

Oh yeah, the citrus stripper works great at removing the built up layers of paint and leaving the original bronze in tact. Just don't use a metal scraper to be sure you aren't scoring too far down. I used a plastic scraper gently and a power washer to get down to good solid original paint on mine. Good luck!
    1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
    1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her