Thread: Paint Wheels?

Default Paint Wheels?

Hey Guys!

So, I currently have the chrome wheels on my $700 95 RRC where the chrome is starting to peel off the wheel. Has anybody tried painting their aluminum wheels? Any advice? Best process to paint wheels?

Here's a before and after (using Photoshop), and I like the look. What do you think?

Former owner of 1967 Series IIA 109 NADA
    1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7
    1995 Range Rover Classic SWB

when you first said paint the wheels i was automaticly against the idea
    but the photo actaully looks pretty good

you will need to use a scuff pad or a medium coarse sand paper like a 120 to 140 gritt, that way paint will adhere to the crome rather than run when painted. unlike painting on previusly painted sufaces where an adhesion base is reccomended but not nescesary.
    goood luck

Default Painting chrome

Agree w/Phoenix. In addition, you should use a self etching primer(that won't etch polished chrome) after you abrade the chrome, that will increase adhesion of the finish coat/s. It is normally a BS green color, and dries in 5 minutes for finish coat.
    Remove the wheels, and lay them face up on the floor. Run a 6" piece of flashing (on edge)around the edge of the rim, overlapping at the ends, and duct tape it. Then spray the wheel. It's a cinch, and the flashing can be moved to each wheel as you paint. Normal aluminum or painted wheels may be done using just above procedure, without abrading first.
    Have fun. Bet you will enjoy the results.
    Jeff