Thread: Transmission compatibility

Question Transmission compatibility

Yesterday, while backing out of my driveway, my transmission decided to call it a day. I may have access to a loaner transmission to use while I rebuild my dead tranny.

Question:

Can a SIIA transmission be used to (temporarily) replace a SIII transmission? I know it'll bolt right up, but what about the clutch? Can I just plumb by SIII clutch master up to the IIA slave? Are there clearance issues with the physically-larger IIA clutch setup that I should be concerned with? I'd hate to have to swap bellhousings on a loaner transmission...

Thanks!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Pressure plate is different, has that piece in the center of the fingers.
    Will have to run your clutch master cylinder line to the other side of the trans unless you have a RHD.
    You'll have to learn to double clutch.
    Other that that it should fit fine I believe.

It's when you go the other way you have to notch the cross member to clear the SIII clutch slave cylinder.
    Or switch the SII bell housing and other stuff to the SIII gear box like I did.

Steve

EDIT: OPPS I see you do have a RHD
    71 IIa 88
    01 D2

Quote Originally Posted by BackInA88 View Post
    You'll have to learn to double clutch.
    Unfortunately, I've been double-clutching this 5 year old, allegedly rebuilt SIII transmission for the last 4 years, so I'm rather expert at it!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).