Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover Tool kit?

Default Land Rover Tool kit?

Ok, forgive me if this has been asked already-

What tools are NEED, Want and, its kinda cool??

Is there really a difference in american n british?
    Would a metric set n standard set get everything done?
    Thanks,
    McQ

Default I'd put this under needed.....

Quote Originally Posted by McQ01 View Post
    What tools are NEED, Want and, its kinda cool?
    Do you run a points set distributor? Then a small feeler gauge and a screwdriver for setting your points. I've been told a matchbook cover will suffice but I haven't tried it myself.

Jeff

Oh an under-hood welder would be cool.
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Default Lubricants!

Lots of EP90, and motor oil!

Use the search tool, this was just recently discussed, and some good suggestions were made. The one I think in the most relavant, is to carry out all your repairs with your on board tool box. if you are missing a tool to carry out the job at hand, get it out of your master toolbox, and add it to your on board toolbox for next time.

tow bar and cell phone
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

a matchbook cover does work for setting the points - have done it many times.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Ok, forgive me if this has been asked already-

Is there really a difference in american n british?
    Would a metric set n standard set get everything done?
    Thanks,
    McQ
    I know I've said it before but...... Don't leave home in the Series without your AAA Card (gold membership preferred) and a least one roll of paper towels

After wading through a bunch of silly answers, I have a question, Are you referring to which tools to take along on a trip or is this a new to you truck and you are wondering which tools you need to own to maintain the beastie?

Also what year & model is it and was it built for the North American Market or for a different market (makes a difference as to what parts were used).

I'm no expert in fixing sizes but near as I can tell the primary differences between BSF (British Standard Fine) and SAE fine threads is thread pitch. You really don't want to mix the fixings but both can use the same tools. Neither American nor Metric wrenches quite fit Whitworth fixings but a lot of people think it is close enough and rely upon the fixings being hardened to come apart & go back on without rounding.

What tools you will need depends upon what work you do yourself vs what gets farmed out and what you have on your individual truck. Which is why I thought it would be a good idea to ask.

In general Rover axle assemblies, gearbox and transfercase uses whitworth unless you have a Salisbury. Salisbury axle assemblies were introduced with the SIII 109 and were all Metric from day one. I think the Solex carb is whitworth but it has been a few decades since I've put wrench to one.

The rest of the truck is pretty much BSF with means your US wrenches will fit. When North Americans rebuild trucks we will often replace old grungy bolts & nuts with new ones purchased locally, so you will see a lot of 7/16ths SAE fine bolts throughout North American trucks.

To complicate things, Land Rover converted Series production to metric around Summer of 1981 and had been slipping in some metric parts into SIII production before then. What this means is that replacement parts you buy for your truck are metric.

Confused yet? Me too.

Personally I have a full set of inch compatible tools, the two most common whitworth size wrenches and a 10mm through 14mm wrenches for those odd ball newer assemblies.

If your question is what to take along instead of what to own I'm afraid that you have opened yourself up to a slew of silly answers from a lot of people who think a towing card and a cell phone is the solution to everything. These folks likely don't know that most tow trucks don't go off road or that there are a lot of rural areas that don't get cell phone reception. Their solutions are fine if your Land Rover doesn't go off road or deep into the back country.

If you travel off road much tools come in handy on occasion. How often depends upon your trucks state of maintenance, where and HOW you drive.

very good points Terri Ann. This is why my comment above of using the on board tool set for all repairs is important, but could be lacking if it is the maiden voyage. I've seen tool rolls that are very simple, and VERY complex. it all depends on how much you are looking to repair on your own in the bush, or if you plan on having a shop perform the work.

That being said, I would never leave home without:
    a full set of SAE and metric wrenches
    two screwdrivers each of both flat head and phillips
    an adjustable wrench
    a set of feeler guages
    a wire stripper/crimping tool
    an assortment of wire connectors
    a roll of electrical tape
    wire ties
    needle nose pliers
    a full set of 3/8 inch sockets, metric and SAE
    rachet, extensions etc for said sockets
    a 4-5 foot length of electrical wire
    one quart each of motor oil and EP90

Multi meters, vacuum guages, spare axles, extra points, etc are all important, but again, this is about tools, not spares, and you have to be comfortable using what you choose to bring. If you can't use a multimeter, it is useless on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew IIA View Post
    I know I've said it before but...... Don't leave home in the Series without your AAA Card (gold membership preferred) and a least one roll of paper towels

I don't think this suggestion was "silly" at all. Seriously. Get a AAA, CAA, or some other contract towing service. Mine hasn't broken down yet on a highway 100 miles from home. But it will. And I'll be prepared to get it home where I can work on it at my own leisure.

My list is similar to the above. Also a fan belt, fuel filter and extra line w/hose clamps For fluids I also carry jug of pre-mixed antifreeze, brake fluid and a gallon of water to pour over the carb for vapor-lock. A magnet is VERY helpful when you drop that nut somewhere under the truck in a field.
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky