Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Does the Breakfast Need To Be Grounded?

Default Why Does the Breakfast Need To Be Grounded?

After finding that my "breakfast" (I know, I know) wasn't properly grounded and was sparking when I closed the hood....I connected a ground wire and all is well and my headlights work again. My question is why do they need a ground? Shouldn't the wires be able to feed into the headlights without needing the whole piece to be grounded?

I believe it is because the headlights are grounded to the breakfast itself thus the reason why the breakfast needs to be grounded.

LaneRover

makes sense. still an odd setup! I ended up just taking the loose ground wire that I found and screwing it onto the battery cover (the metal tray that keeps down the battery with two nuts). definitely a temporary fix but works for now

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover
    I believe it is because the headlights are grounded to the breakfast itself thus the reason why the breakfast needs to be grounded.

LaneRover
    No, no, no. The breakfast was used by Lucas as a grounding point because it provides a more direct path for shorts to occur. If the ground had been placed on the frame, the lights might operate properly, thereby negating the Lucas flicker effect.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

I unfortunately was banging on the side fender everytime the lights went out, thinking there was a loose wire. This was at night and I didn't have a good place to pull over and fix it. Well.......I banged it so much that some bondo fell out of a late-IIA sidemarker hole that shouldn't have been there (mine's a '67). Ha. So now I have a fender with a hole that I didn't even know was there
    Last edited by Bostonian1976; 03-14-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Yes the first order of owning any Series truck is taking a rubber hammer and finding all that bondo, I mean what's the point a 3 year old can bang out a bent panel on a series and spray it with a little paint.
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover
    I had completely forgotten about that. Decades ago I rerouted all the front light grounds to the frame. Maybe that's why I never had any electrical problems with the front mounted lights other than the occasional bulb burning out.

The reason I hit reply is that if your engine is not properly grounded the coolant conducts electricity from the engine to the radiator, through your grounded radiator bulkhead back to battery ground. This causes metal erosion and deposition at dissimilar metal junctions along the path and at metal to coolant surfaces.

So now that you have a grounded radiator bulkhead, may I suggest that you verify that you have at least one clean, tight good high current ground connection between the battery and engine.

On my engine the same connector that secures my battery ground connector to the frame also secures my engine ground strap to the frame.

Just a thought to head off a possible future followed by

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn
    So now that you have a grounded radiator bulkhead, may I suggest that you verify that you have at least one clean, tight good high current ground connection between the battery and engine.
    I thought 12 volts wouldn't conduct across water so you couldn't ground out that way. Or if you do get a grounding effect at least you won't do more than simple electrolysis to the water.
    Is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    No, no, no. The breakfast was used by Lucas as a grounding point because it provides a more direct path for shorts to occur. If the ground had been placed on the frame, the lights might operate properly, thereby negating the Lucas flicker effect.
    Just because the lights from the car behind me and shining underneath my truck are usually brighter than mine doesn't mean that my lights aren't bright enough. It is a safety feature to keep us from blinding oncoming traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn
    Decades ago I rerouted all the front light grounds to the frame.
    Cheater.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.