3 days ago, the starter motor on my 1990 RRC failed to turn when I tried to start it. The battery was charged and all the other electrical was working. The binnacle lights all activated. I didn't hear a report from the solenoid. Stranded, I gave the year-old battery -to -starter cable gentle jiggle: nothing. I jiggled away at the column shroud & column lock, activated the various shroud components (turn signals, head lights, etc) while turning the key to start, and it finally started when I activated the flasher unit. Coincidence?

I started it 15 more times after that, no problem.

Last night I had the same problem and couldn't jiggle or activate my way into another start. I had it towed home and of course it started first try this morning.

I'm going out to check grounds now, and thought i'd ask the forum for advice. Something's in its death throws: please help me with the trouble shooting order of the switch / relay /motor, or alternatives.

Also, as a means of testing the switch, Joshua posted a method of bypassing the switch by connecting the positive post on the starter to the "bendix connection." Is this valid and if so, where is the bendix connection? Many thanks -- Tim