Thread: 1960 Series II Restoration

Default 1960 Series II Restoration

I bought a 1960 Series II that I intend to restore - hopefully. We will see.

Name:  1960 Series II.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  134.2 KB

Video showing the extremely rusted chassis.

The chassis will need to be replaced. I am hoping to drive up to pick it up to save on shipping.

I like working on automobile projects, so this should be a fun one to get into. My first priority is starting the engine. The previous owner said it needs a head gasket. He apparently had the head off and said that it was bored over to .040 per a stamp on one of the cylinders. He painted the engine but for some reason did not put a head gasket on and put it back together. He said he never started it.

I have a new head gasket and am preparing to install it with a new valve cover gasket. Once installed, I will get an idea of compression.

Oil smells like gas like someone was trying to start it

Fuel:

• I have cleaned the old aftermarket Weber carb and am hoping it will still work (it was filthy).
    • Fuel tank is not installed at this point. I will try to start without installing the fuel tank first.

Spark:

• The battery delivered with the Land Rover was no good - it was a group 24. I've bought a new Group 27 battery.

• There is no key - I have ordered a new ignition lock cylinder with key
    • The distributor is missing one of the hold down clamps. Trying to figure out how to order one.
    • Spark plugs look new and never used (like someone quit in the middle of this project).

Here is a tour of the engine bay I filmed - mostly to have some reference as I read and learn about the 2.25L petrol engine. Seems like I am missing the radiator overflow canister.

**Video below because video limit is one**

I am getting close to being ready to try to start the engine. Maybe one week from today! Just waiting on those few parts. Will let you all know what happens.

Engine video

it looks pretty squared away under the hood, it looks like the head was recently installed?
    but that rust ........... wow, vehicles on the east coast endure a lot of grief over that.

Welcome from the UK. Looks like you have a fairly early example of a standard Series 2 Land Rover. For info it would most likely not have an overflow bottle on the radiator. If original the clip for the distributer cap is Lucas part no. 421824, Rover part 502287 . From what I can see in the video clip it may not have the original distributer ,its not clear .
    I see you are in VA, so there is a local Land Rover Club which could well be worth contacting . ROAV.org

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    it looks pretty squared away under the hood, it looks like the head was recently installed?
    but that rust ........... wow, vehicles on the east coast endure a lot of grief over that.
    The head was painted (but no head gasket installed). So I am installing the head gasket. Just seems strange you would take the head off, paint it, and then reinstall but without a gasket. I'm asking myself why you would do that. Because you found something that made you decide not to spend anymore time or money on it? Seems strange.

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    Welcome from the UK. Looks like you have a fairly early example of a standard Series 2 Land Rover. For info it would most likely not have an overflow bottle on the radiator. If original the clip for the distributer cap is Lucas part no. 421824, Rover part 502287 . From what I can see in the video clip it may not have the original distributer ,its not clear .
    I see you are in VA, so there is a local Land Rover Club which could well be worth contacting . ROAV.org
    Great to hear from you over in the UK!!

Have joined ROAV - good info on the overflow bottle. The fan blades are hitting the shroud at the bottom, so something is wrong with radiator/engine alignment. The shroud seems like it is original, but not sure. I have removed it for now. Need a belt, obviously!

The ignition coil was removed and sitting inside the vehicle, so I am not sure that is a good sign either! Will be testing that and buying a new one if it seems bad.