Thread: starter question

Default starter question

Ive got a 72 series 3 88". It looks like a late 2a but running gear is all s3. Ive been resurrecting it over the last 3 years. Its got a turner 8:1 petrol. Got it wired up and running in 2022 and have never had a problem...everything is new on this truck. yesterday a friend of mine and I were going to go for a spin. Now with no neutral safety switch im always careful to make sure its in neutral when i start it. Got in turned key, was in gear...just a quick lurch forward..turned key off quickly. Well it wouldnt start after that, just the click of solenoid..starter seemed dead. Rocked it a bit in forward and reverse seeing if a stuck bendix gear was the issue. Ended up push starting it to get it off the street...fired right up...no weird noises. Back at the garage i bypassed the solenoid to rule it out..nothing. Pulled it out today, bench tested it, seems to work just fine. Also bench tested it ( should. say top of fender tested it) running it through solenoid, turn key, works everytime. Its an original lucas unit in nice shape...one thing i didnt have to replace....im sure its not original but dont know the age. Still puzzled by what caused to act dead in the truck from just a momentary bump in gear. the bendix return spring seems weak, maybe they are that way..first landy.. would I be wise to just take it to a rebuilder for a refresh as long as its out. Im not sure if i want to put it back and have another issue. On a side note...is there a specific orientation as to how it goes in, didnt take note. Seems like it could go either way. thanks for any input. added pic of the unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have had the starter just stop dead & its been the main starter cable connections slightly corroded . Just disconnecting & reconnection cured it. I would make sure all are clean & tight. For info. the starter will have a 4 digit date code stamped in the body , first two are week in the year and the last two are the year. 2473 would be week 24 in 1973. The pinion gear should be dry or graphite dust lubricated , no oil or grease .

Thanks for the info. I did just that. Even though corrosion is not an issue the starter was the one item I didnt touch. Cleaned every connection and ground strap to shiny metal, put it back in and works like a charm...seems like quicker response when I turn the key. Thanks much