Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading to anti-burst door locks - HELP.

Default Seals

wow. I have never seen that. I'm impressed! Does he have door seals?

Yeah Dave, he has all the seals. I know it's hard to believe, but these doors close like they were on a Mercedes. They need only the slightest effort to close perfectly. The click of the door latching is so satisfying and yet so maddening.

I can't believe I get so into this crap.

Dear Lord, I am a Rover geek.

Quote Originally Posted by Momo
    Yeah Dave, he has all the seals. I know it's hard to believe, but these doors close like they were on a Mercedes. They need only the slightest effort to close perfectly. The click of the door latching is so satisfying and yet so maddening.

I can't believe I get so into this crap.

Dear Lord, I am a Rover geek.
    that is an impressive achievement. usually it helps if the car has never been apart. and we all are, don't worry. and it doesn't get better.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

I"ll have to chime in with the trouble being the door seals.... I read once where the seals need to be trained into position, but in truth believe it's more like "beat into submission"! Then as JP- mentioned it will also take some time for the seals to settle in place to where the doors will close up as you would possibly like...

Check back with us after the end next presidential administration if the problems persist.

Dave

I'm real surprised about the new door seals being an issue... Are you folks using original series door seals or defender seals?

I wonder if NOS (new original stock) seals get a bit hard after sitting in their packaging for a couple of decades or perhaps that isn't the case at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith
    I'm real surprised about the new door seals being an issue... Are you folks using original series door seals or defender seals?

I wonder if NOS (new original stock) seals get a bit hard after sitting in their packaging for a couple of decades or perhaps that isn't the case at all.
    Tim,

I have tried two different types of seals. On the 109", I used replacement Land Rover seals all the way around, with the metal inserts in them. They worked well, but are quite stiff. They are Land Rover parts, but I spoke with one vendor who said that they are made quite a bit thicker than the originals.

On the 88", I used a seal that is the exact same shape as the original, but with no metal insert. These worked much better and are more flexible, plus half the price. They are still quite stiff, but not so much without the metal. The doors do close well, but still very tight aginst the rubber. Time will tell how both are going to "wear in."
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

The ome replacement seals appeared to be like for like when replacing the seals on my 109sw...The newer ones may be of a more durable compound, ??? and it the one NOS seal that was used might have been softer.... But they fit up well and I;m happy enough with them.
    It;s more the case in knowing that it takes a bit of effort and time to get the ome seals settled in place.
    Easy enough to be caught off guard and ponder that something is wrong when the doors are not wanting to close after replacing the seals... But taking into account the relative lite weight of the doors and the rigidness of the seals, brings about one more quirky nature of series ownership & repair.

May have to adjust the door catches out and in time adjust them back in. When I went to install the side doors seals I ended up mounting the trailing edges firsts and then followed up later with the leading edge seals. This seemed to make things go a bit easier...

Dave

74 109sw
    00 SII