Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1962 Series IIA Problems

Default Alternator

If you disconnect the battery while the engine is running the alternator sees zero voltage and tries to full field itself and smokes the diodes. With a generator you could get away from that, but not with an alternator.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

It is entirely possible to buy an alternator without an internal regulator. A dead Alternator will not cause the stuttering you are experiencing. Your engine will run off the battery until it drains it dead. If you have restricted fuel you will still smell fuel in the carb area as it will not be completely void of fuel. I have had bogging down under acceleration with a new weber and it was the fuel filter restricting fuel supply. After a horrid water crossing some years ago I drove about 30 miles with a dead alternator no problem. Good luck with it!

As a new Series owner I had the exact symtoms even after installing new tank and it was sediment in the carb bowl blocking the jets. Just keep cleaning the carb out and eventually got past the issue. For what it is worth.
    93 D110 NAS 327
    94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076, 1181
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

Thanks for all the help. I will take all the advice and try at it again today. No work til Monday so I have all day to stare and cuss at the truck until it fixes itself! Every bit of advice is greatly appreciated. I am learning about them and they are simple, but having no experience I am afraid of the truck a bit. All the help and reassurance makes it much easier to work on.

I had the same issue this summer. What I did in order....changed the plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, new weber carb and pertronix ignition. She runs great, but now she is over heating. Just ordered new thermastat.
    1968 Series IIa 88 w/ hardtop - SOLD
    1970 Series IIa 88 (parts car)
    M416 Trailer
    2008 Toyota FJ
    2009 Volvo C30
    1983 D110
    http://68landy.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post.html

this problem was fixed when I noticed that the fuse for my ignition was loosely in its place and jiggling about. I squeezed the two sets of prongs together and replaced the fuse and problem solved. The alternator was one out of a series 3. It was replaced with a AC Delco 10si and a bracket from Ike at Pangolin 4x4 thanks to Terri A's website.