Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another overheating question

Any chance the water pump impellor isn't pumping much anymore?

Or that your timing advance isn't working too well?
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by cousindave View Post
    I stuck a thermometer in the radiator after gauge read in the red. I got 145° . Let me add that I'm running without the thermostat. Also, when I oened the raxiator I noticed the antifreeze was foamy. Is that normal? I also noticed the smallest pinhole leak out of the radiator. Could that cause the foaming? Or even the overheat conditions? What temp is overheating in a series III? thanks
    Normal operating temp for a 4 cylinder should be between 180F and 200F. Overheating would be 220F+. The thermostat wouldn't even open until the temp reached 72C or 162F (Series III manual thermostat rating).

Foamy antifreeze doesn't seem normal.

IMHO a pinhole leak would keep the cooling system from maintaining the correct pressure of around 9 lbf in^2 (which is the rating of the radiator cap according to the Series III manual)
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

What about an air pocket/ bubble in the cooling loop? When i changed my T-stat a couple of weeks ago I think i had 1. It overheated on 1st start, bout 220, i shut it down immediately.

Anyway, jacked up the front end and added coolant as engine was running.

Goosed gas pedal w/ hand... add more coolant. Repeat as necessary.

It got to 180 plus and the new stat opened.
    JHK
    2000 DII
    1959 88 SERIES II

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses! Had time today to install a new mechanical pump to the old bird. Guess what? The temps never go above 140° without the thermostat. But, there is alot of foaming in the radiator. Went to napa and got some radiator cleaner. Wish me luck!

Ok, so i used napa radiator cleaner. Stuff is awesome! Gray crap came out of the petcocks. Nasty. No more foam in the radiator!! Totally psyched!!

Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD