X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • westcoastkevin
    1st Gear
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by amcordo
    Would a tool like this work to remove and install our bushings?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushing-Inst...item416dcefeac
    I have that little set of bushing drivers and they are handy for bench work. They are not even close to what you need for the frame bushings though.

I had very fast results with a burr in a die grinder to weaken the wall of the bushing and then drove them out. You can see the mushrooming on the driver where I was trying to remove them prior to weakening them. They came out easily after weakening them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vq0gaq[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	168064

Comment

• TedW
      5th Gear
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by luckyjoe

My next bushings will only be greaseable polys...

Tom P.
      I have the greaseable polys from Great Basin - well-made and e-z to install (and remove!).

Ted

Comment

• printjunky
        3rd Gear
        • Jul 2007

I have such a thin piece of the bushing outer shell stuck in there (see the pic in my previous post in this thread). The rubber was pretty much nonexistent, and the inner shell was VERY difficult to get off the bolt (but at least I could do that on a bench with a vise).

So before I got some of the stuck outer shell to peel back and started on its way out (I hope). I was thinking something like this would make pretty quick work of the thin piece of outer shell, and clean the hanger to the exact diameter. Never worked with this type of reamer - didn't even know that I knew they existed - but it's exactly what I "invented" in my head while I was under there hammering:

Comment

• Revtor
          2nd Gear
          • Apr 2012

reamers are only designed to cut a few thousandths at best. It would make a nice tool to clean out the bore afterwards though.

I like westcoastKev's die grinder approach. Thin out a section or two and then chisel away.

Less than a MM, you might be able to curl them out once you got a working edge?

Might be worth your sweat to buy a cheap or rent an air chisel?

I think I will be tackling this in the fall, so post up here what works for you!
          ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
          ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Comment

• SafeAirOne
            Overdrive
            • Apr 2008

Using one of those reamers on the remains of the bushing in your picture would absolutely destroy the $80 tool, A fresh bushing with the center removed might be a different story, though it'd take you forever to do.

I'm surprised that a simple radial cut through the outer bushing with a hack saw blade didn't relieve the outward pressure on the chassis tube and allow you to curl the bushing in at the saw kerf.
            --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
            (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• ArlowCT
              2nd Gear
              • Jul 2008

I used a $30 air hammer with the sheet metal cutting bit. Once I burned out the rubber it took less than a min to tear into and drive out each outer shell. Money well spent if you have a compressor!

Comment

• printjunky
                3rd Gear
                • Jul 2007

Mark, I meant the reamer for before I'd peened anything over. I'd guess there's about .040" of the shell left, and before I started whacking at it, it was a smooth bore, just too small, of course to get the new bushing in.

And your recommendation, is exactly what I'm trying, but only tiny bits are peening over at a time. I assume it is so corroded to the hanger that it is tantamount to a single unit. I keep hoping it breaks free (soaked in penetrant overnight, even). I'm also trying to be conservative, and not cut into the hanger when I'm sawing, so theoretically, I'm not all the way through the entire length of the hanger on my cuts. But it's pretty hard to tell where the shell ends and the hanger begins (except on the edges).

Back out to it. might even be toughing out some rain while I do.

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                  Overdrive
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by printjunky
                  Mark, I meant the reamer for before I'd peened anything over. I'd guess there's about .040" of the shell left, and before I started whacking at it, it was a smooth bore, just too small, of course to get the new bushing in.
                  Ahh. Well, that's a different story then! It'd likely work, but you'd be there all day shaving off ten thousandths at a time. Plus you probably wouldn't get the opportunity to brush up on all your favorite swear words and other expletives!

Originally posted by printjunky
                  Back out to it. might even be toughing out some rain while I do.
                  NOW you're living the [series] land rover lifestyle!
                  --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                  (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• printjunky
                    3rd Gear
                    • Jul 2007

Well, I finally got this out.Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-02 21.34.46.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	168067

I think the key was getting the cut all the way through. But as I said, it was very hard to tell until I was.

Unfortunately the new bushing is being very difficult. I have it about 40% in, and it is barely moving. That 40% took probably an hour. Tried several methods, but I don't really have the optimal dimension & strength bolt/washer setup. But with what I had, it was taking a very large amount of pressure to get it to move at all. We're talking 24" breaker bar pulling VERY hard. I wouldn't be surprised if that's generating 150lbs of torque. (using a shackle bolt through the bushing and the hanger into the threaded part of the shackle with a washer on the head end)

What's everyone's experience with the new bushings? These are the stock RM ones. Should I be expecting this much .... tenacity?

I might try dry ice on the other bushing/heating the hanger when I get to that one.

Giving up for tonight, getting eaten alive out there, and if I did get side done, I couldn't start the next one anyway cuz of the grinder noise when I cut the U-bolts.

And Mark, if you look back through my posts (and even some of our exchanges) you'll see that among other things (including a few crazy adventures like blowing out my rear main on the way back from Owl's Head when I was at UMaine some years ago) I've spent a very hot midwestern summer doing new cam/timing gear in the backyard, have done some major driveway winter wiring, and early this spring, replaced my flywheel when there was still snow on the ground, and I needed 3 or 4 layers. (and even with all those layers, I kept thawing the snowpack and freezing my back to the ground). And probably plenty I'm forgetting.

I consider the Series Rover Lifestyle to be fully indistinguishable from my life itself. Hahaha, and this week, it's been exhaustng.

Comment

Working...