X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cryptopal
    Low Range
    • Oct 2007

Series 1 Fuel Line Pressure Problems

I have a 2 ltr series 1 engine with a correct Solex carb. The problem is that the fuel drains back beyond the electric fuel pump after shutdown. I then have to prime the line to get positive pressure. Is there a remedy to this issue. A mouthful of gas is not my favorite flavor.
    Last edited by cryptopal; 10-01-2007, 12:43 PM.
  • jp-
    5th Gear
    • Oct 2006

What?

Any good electric fuel pump is self priming. You aren't talking about a mile of fuel hose, just a few feet. An electric pump will fill the line in a few seconds. Aside from that, there would be more than enough fuel remaining in the carburetor float bowl to run the engine until the fuel could reach it. I think you have misidentified the problem.

Is the float bowl empty upon startup?
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• cryptopal
      Low Range
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by cryptopal
      I have a 2 ltr series 1 engine with a correct Solex carb. The problem is that the fuel drains back beyond the electric fuel pump after shutdown. I then have to prime the line to get positive pressure. Is there a remedy to this issue. A mouthful of gas is not my favorite flavor.
      The Rover sat in the barn for some time and would start and run then stop. I discovered the fuel pump wasn't pumping properly. I replaced it with an aftermarket pump (like you would find at the local auto parts) This was apparently a high pressure pump as the fuel pumped so furiously that it forced the float to remain open. Then, when cranking the engine It seized from the cylinders being full of fuel. Even the carb. was full to the top!
      After clearing the system and installing another pump from a different manufacturer the rover fires and runs quite nice with plenty of pep. The problem now is that upon shut-off the fuel drains back beyond the pump (mounted in its proper location). I have to use a primer bulb to get the fuel past the pump up to the carb. before it will ever re-fire. My only guess is that the float is remaining open at shut-off (negative pressure) allowing fuel to drain back to the tank.
      I have cleaned the carb. bowl, inspected and tested the float needle valve and all is perfect there. Any ideas???
      Last edited by cryptopal; 10-02-2007, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• singingcamel
        4th Gear
        • Oct 2006

i really don't thinks its a float issue, there should be enough fuel in the bowl to start.it won't all drain out.
        try running a in line fuel filter if you don't have one.
        the other thing you may want to try is parking it on a hill ,nose down .
        should'nt drain out then .........................................sorry

Comment

• cryptopal
          Low Range
          • Oct 2007

Maybe I will try a different fuel filter that may help.
          I guess I need to repair the transmission brake now! Any other ideas?

Comment

• jp-
            5th Gear
            • Oct 2006

The fuel in the float chamber cannot drain back to the tank. It is impossible, unless you have turned your Rover upside down in a ditch, in which case I am sorry.

You do not need to park the Rover on a hill, you need to fix the problem. If you let the Rover sit for a few days, is the float chamber empty when you try to crank it? If yes, then your float chamber has a leak, or your carb needs replacing.

The first thing to do is disconnect the fuel line and make sure that fuel is coming out when the pump is running. If the pump is putting out a decent amount of fuel and the truck still will not run, you have carburetor issues or electrical issues.

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• cryptopal
              Low Range
              • Oct 2007

No, There is plenty of fuel in the float bowl BUT maybe the valve on the float is left slightly open at shut down allowing fuel to drain back. That is the only cause that makes sense to me. I am going to try to shut down at idle and not at rev. to see if there is a difference. This one has stumpted me. btw, Thank you for your continued responses.

Comment

• jp-
                5th Gear
                • Oct 2006

The valve that lets fuel in is at the top of the "bowl." Getting the fuel out would be like pouring water uphill. That's the whole purpose of the bowl, to hold enough fuel for continued running and during startup. I repeat, if the bowl has fuel in it at startup and the truck will not start, the carburetor is not working properly (metering the fuel well enough, clogged jets, etc...), your air filter is clogged, your timing is off, or your not getting a good spark (or any spark).

Comment

• singingcamel
                  4th Gear
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jp-
                  The fuel in the float chamber cannot drain back to the tank. It is impossible, unless you have turned your Rover upside down in a ditch, in which case I am sorry.

You do not need to park the Rover on a hill, you need to fix the problem. If you let the Rover sit for a few days, is the float chamber empty when you try to crank it? If yes, then your float chamber has a leak, or your carb needs replacing.

The first thing to do is disconnect the fuel line and make sure that fuel is coming out when the pump is running. If the pump is putting out a decent amount of fuel and the truck still will not run, you have carburetor issues or electrical issues.
                  THE PARKING ON THE HILL WAS POSTED FOR FUN< DON"T GET YOUR UNDIES BUNCHED UP

Comment

• LaneRover
                    Overdrive
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by singingcamel
                    THE PARKING ON THE HILL WAS POSTED FOR FUN< DON"T GET YOUR UNDIES BUNCHED UP
                    Actually I have 73 Ford F-250 that I have to park downhill if I am going to leave it for more than a few days. Otherwise I have to 'prime' the pump by dumping (a little) gas down the carb.

Brent
                    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• jp-
                      5th Gear
                      • Oct 2006

Camel,

He might have taken you seriously.

Lane,

You're not priming the pump, you're priming the carb. There's a difference. Is your choke system working? Or is the carb leaking?

Comment

• LaneRover
                        Overdrive
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jp-

Lane,

You're not priming the pump, you're priming the carb. There's a difference. Is your choke system working? Or is the carb leaking?
                        I believe that if the pump won't pump nothin then one would be priming the pump to get it to pump gas to the carb.

It is a case of the gas in the carb evaporating over a number of days. If I am starting it the next day I can park it any way I want.

Brent
                        1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                        1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                        1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                        1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• jp-
                          5th Gear
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by LaneRover
                          Actually I have 73 Ford F-250 that I have to park downhill if I am going to leave it for more than a few days. Otherwise I have to 'prime' the pump by dumping (a little) gas down the carb.

Brent
                          Dumping gas down the carb is essentially the same thing as choking the engine to get it to start. That's why I say you are priming the carb. To prime the pump (i.e. if you just put on a new pump, or if you ran out of gas) you would connect the lines and manually actuate the pump lever (mechanical pump) until fuel comes out the line. Then the pump is primed.

Your gas should last for weeks or months in the float bowl. I doubt you have an evaportation problem. You most likely have a leak.

Comment

• jp-
                            5th Gear
                            • Oct 2006

If on the other hand, the pump "won't pump nothin," that would manifest itself in very poor running, or failure to run at all. If the engine runs rough or will not rev smoothly upon acceleration, then you definitely have a fuel pump problem.

Comment

• jp-
                              5th Gear
                              • Oct 2006

Electric pumps are self priming, as are mechanical pumps but they take longer.

Comment

Working...