Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nill
    Low Range
    • Feb 2009

few pics of my daily driver. She marks her territory whenever she stops. haha!
    Neil
    1969 Series IIA 88 Daily Driver.

Comment

• Tim Smith
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Nill
      http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&id=643620443

Hi Neil,
      Facebook requires a log in to see your pictures so most people won't be able to see them. Just in case you didn't know.

Comment

• BDM
        Low Range
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Nill
        http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&id=643620443

Wow! Neil, great looking "Bugeye." Did you restore this yourself?
        99 Beluga Black DI SD
        08 Tongan Green LR3

Comment

• Nill
          Low Range
          • Feb 2009

As requested...
          I picked her up in this condition from a man in Anchorage (I'm in Fairbanks). Came with original owners manual and maint log. She has a bad sump gasket, but other than that, she runs like a top, showing 46k on the odometer, might be right... I wish I would have been able to redo her myself, as I would have done a few things differently, but eh I saved a heap of cash. The guy I got her from needed cash for taxes or something of the like, so he let her go for way less than he should have. she has no rust on her that I have been able to find yet. I had her on a lift for three hours so I could tell for sure where the oil was coming from.
          Enjoy the pics.

-Neil

Neil

Comment

• Nill
            Low Range
            • Feb 2009

A couple from playing in the snow today. No more 69ROVR plate... didn't feel like paying for it.

Neil

Comment

• Firemanshort
              2nd Gear
              • Nov 2006

What is with the paint texture on the hood?
              Firemanshort
              1980 Stage One
              (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Comment

• Nill
                Low Range
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Firemanshort
                What is with the paint texture on the hood?
                Apparently there used to be a spare mount on the hood, and the guy didn't like the way it looked after he sprayed it... he said it had a few indentations by the rivets. So he textured it... he also did the same to the back door, and the bottom 1 1/2" of the rear panels. I wish I had gotten to it first but its not too bad my beer doesn't slip off the hood now.
                Neil

Comment

• Linus Tremaine
                  1st Gear
                  • Jan 2007

"my beer doesn't slip off the hood now"

I guess that would depend on how fast you are driving right?
                  1968 Land Rover "Park Ranger" camper **SOLD**
                  1967 109 **SOLD**
                  NADA Dormobile #601 **SOLD**
                  1965 IIA 88 2.5NA Diesel
                  1963 Mercedes 300se
                  1975 Volvo C303
                  KJ6AQK

Comment

• Nill
                    Low Range
                    • Feb 2009

New sump gasket just arrived in the post. Too bad I will be too busty to get to it this weekend. If anyone is in Thailand from now till mid march, drop me a line, I will be down south around Phuket for a bit and then up nor east by Udon Thani /Karat. Cheers

Oh and Linus, I don't have to worry much about how fast I'm driving... It is a series Rover after all. haha!
                    Neil

Comment

• Cosmic88
                      Low Range
                      • Feb 2009

Gory Details of my '67 IIA 88" 2.25

I just got her and obviously have a project on my hands. It could be worse...

-ever the optimist- Cosmic88

Here is the Cosmic 88 when I got her.... A little water, soap and wax and she'll be good as new...plus a few years of my life, too much cash and some blood, sweat and tears.
                      -Cosmo-
                      '66 IIA 88" - Stock-ish Trail Rider

'95 Disco R380 5 spd DD
                      ARB winch bull bar
                      Warn 8k
                      Gulf States Grill
                      OME HD 2" lift
                      home made limb risers
                      LR rack with too many Hellas
                      on-and-on-and....

Comment

• Tim Smith
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

Cosmic,
                        I love the truck but where did it come from? I've never seen one that was that close to being a goner without actually having a major fault like a broken frame or a hole through the bulk head.

Please do yourself a favor and deal with the rust right now. Do it before you start driving it too much. Please!

Either get some waxoil or learn the recipe to safely make your own and get at all that rust. Keep at it on every oil change. You are lucky enough that the truck looks solid but you are perilously close to loosing a major item.

My experience, due to my location being in the northeast, might be particular but I've seen rust like that turn into huge useless holes within a few months of driving. Like about 3 months.

A little bit of mildly ugly work now could save you a lot bit of very ugly work later.

Good luck!

Comment

• Cosmic88
                          Low Range
                          • Feb 2009

It was in Chicago for a few years. I don't know how many years but I do know Mayor Daley doesn't skimp on road salt. Which rusty spot worries you most? Is it the ENTIRE frame or the tool box?

I plan on spending a lot of time (time = money) with Stephen Peters of Safari Rover here in Orlando, digging through his Series scrapyard and shopping around for the best prices on available replacements. hopefully that will be here on Rovers North (...totally shameless kiss-up?)
                          -Cosmo-
                          '66 IIA 88" - Stock-ish Trail Rider

'95 Disco R380 5 spd DD
                          ARB winch bull bar
                          Warn 8k
                          Gulf States Grill
                          OME HD 2" lift
                          home made limb risers
                          LR rack with too many Hellas
                          on-and-on-and....

Comment

• Tim Smith
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

The thing that worries me most about your rust is that it seems to be showing up in all the typical spots. I usually see rust start in one or two spots and then that spot will turn to Swiss cheese in short order thus ruining the truck in some way.

Your truck seems to have lost a lot of it's protective coatings and that is what has me worried most. The best looking areas of the frame are the leading edges around the engine and transmission. No surprise there but where the rust is prevalent, I think that neutralizing quickly will save you lots of aggravation. At least for the next couple of years.

I suppose honest pictures of rust highlight the problem areas more than the ***** eye. I just keyed in on the number of spots with the apparent lack of major failures. Thought it was interesting.

If you can keep after all of the steel on that truck, you may find that a frame over can be held off for a long time. Remember though, that these trucks used very thin sheet steel in the frames and elsewhere (not like your standard domestic truck) so once you see rust, you've got a short time to fix it before it's beyond repair.

EDIT: I suppose I used a reserved word. The ***** should be referring to the state of being unclothed.

Comment

• Leslie
                              5th Gear
                              • Oct 2006

Can you say bare eye?
                              -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
                              '60 SII 88" RHD

Comment

• TSR53
                                5th Gear
                                • Mar 2006

you can also say "nåked, n∂ked, naeked, n∆ked, nªked, or næked" but not *****

ok, back on topic... keep the photos rolling in guys, looking good!
                                Cheers, Thompson
                                Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
                                Rovers North, Inc.

Comment

Working...