Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

thanks everyone. the insructions for them spinny adapty things should have a huge warning. mine is mounted with the oil sending unit to the rear cuz like moose said the wire for the light and the line for the pressure fit easier that way. ok he didn't say "easier" but us lazy folks need to know that there are more like us out there.

rocking it in 3rd would be like turning it forward and backward and i did that and it doesn't care it justs sits there like a bump on a log that just went 15 miles while spinning at 2000 rpm with no lube

moose, twice! i don't mean to be mean but thanks! now i don't feel as unfortunate.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• Jim-ME
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

I'm sorry for everyone who has lost an engine but am I very happy I bought the Rover spin on oil filter part. If I lost my engine I'd be done.
      Jim

Comment

• Moose
        2nd Gear
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by scott

moose, twice! i don't mean to be mean but thanks! now i don't feel as unfortunate.
        Well, someone had to be the poor sap to figure out there was a potential problem with these adapters. Always willing to do my part for the cause.

I purposely left out the ending of the story because I didn't want to come across as too much of a putz, but...

After getting the engine running for the second time, all was well, till the next day. I came out that morning and found a nice little puddle under the Rover. Real seal leaking like a sieve. We had replaced the real main on the first engine out but figured it had only two miles on it, so why go through the hassle of changing it again, right? I guess what we neglected to realize that when an engine runs without oil circulating through it, well things can get pretty heated, and the rear seal suffered some what.

So the engine came out for a third time to change the rear seal. The beauty of this removal was Dave, Tom Tollefson and I were were getting so good at it from the time I drove the 88 into the shop till the engine cleared the wings was 35 minutes flat. At least we had that to be proud of.

Brett
        Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
        Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

Comment

• scott
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

moose,

if you're ever in albuquerque stop by for a beer to celebrate the world record for r/r of a 2.25. (for how fast on the 3rd, not how many you've done)

badvibes has notice a difference in my attitude, i'm more of the pint's half full kind of guy now. i see the seized engine as an opportunity to look into a 200tdi conversion or a fresh rebuilt petro w/ an unleaded head. something to do this fall/winter. i've a 76 spitfire 1500 that i will be putting back on the road in the next couple of weeks. it's sat on blocks for 20 years.
          '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
          '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
          '76 Spitfire 1500
          '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• jp-
            5th Gear
            • Oct 2006

Sorry about the engine Scott. I really am surprised that there was no knocking noise or anything though.

Good to hear that the Triumph will turn a wheel again. My TR4 hasn't turned one in 18 (motor's locked solid). I always wanted a GT6.
            61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
            66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
            66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
            67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
            88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• greenmeanie
              Overdrive
              • Oct 2006

This story makes me glad I bought the spin on adapter from RM. I remember the instructions making a big deal about the orientation of the adapter. IIRC he even puts the data plate on in a certain location to give you a reference.

Wierd thing is that I usually do the typical engineer thing of ignoring all instructions and figuring it out myself - except this one part.

Of course it doesn't help Scott now but for those thinking about buying one the RM part is well engineered.

Cheers
              Gregor

Comment

• Moose
                2nd Gear
                • Oct 2006

My adapter is one of the originals and was installed by the previous owner way back in 1980, long before Rocky Mountain started offering them. For S*!ts and giggles, I dug out the instructions that came with all the other clutter when I got the truck in '84. Sure enough, right there in black and white, it says to "Position the assembled adaptor base on the engine oil filter mounting area so that the gauge port points towards the top front of the engine".

I guess my trucks PO did typical engineer thing of ignoring all instructions and figuring it out himself. Caused me some grief years later.

Brett
                Last edited by Moose; 09-03-2008, 06:17 PM.
                Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
                Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

Comment

Working...