X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmohan55
    4th Gear
    • Sep 2008

unusal bolt on fuel pump

Wife was out shopping last night so I thought Ii could steal some time wrenching on my truck. Went to replace the fuel pump when I came across this type of bolt securing it to the engine. I only have hex sockets, so what do I need to buy now??? Is this a typical bolt used or a P.O.S.T?
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky
  • Jeff Aronson
    • Oct 2006

I've never seen one like that on either of my II-A's, Bob. I have a couple of star sockets in my toolkit that might fit over that odd nut.

Anyone else ever seen one like Bob's photo?

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Comment

• SafeAirOne
      Overdrive
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Jeff Aronson
      I've never seen one like that on either of my II-A's, Bob. I have a couple of star sockets in my toolkit that might fit over that odd nut.

Anyone else ever seen one like Bob's photo?

Jeff
      I've seen tons of them--On F-18 fighter-jets. It's a spline nut. It should come out with a regular 12-point socket. Maybe even a 6-point, but it is designed for a spline wrench or socket. See:

Your power tool and industrial equipment superstore, carrying top brands including Dewalt, Milwaukee, Greenlee, Ridgid, and many more

and http://www.fastenerdimensions.com/bolts_spline.html
      --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
      (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• greenmeanie
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

That looks like a high strength 12 point shoulder nut or what he said above. I know they are used on the big end studs on the Rover V8 at least but it's been so long since I opened up my 2 1/4 that I can't remember what's used on it. My bet is that someone dipped his hand into the jar of fasteners and chose the fancy nut by chance.

Comment

• scott
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

i've just completed a rebuild of my 2.25 and there ain't no nuts like that anywhere on it. the fuel pump is secure with 2 studs 5/16-24 about 1 1/4" long and 2 5/16-24 nuts that go on with 1/2" socket/wrench. the studs have 1/2" of thread on one end and 3/4" on the other. the shorter end goes into the plate that's bolted to the block
          '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
          '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
          '76 Spitfire 1500
          '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• bmohan55
            4th Gear
            • Sep 2008

that was it! Jeff's mention of "star" socket got me thinking so when I went home for lunch I rummaged around some of my old tool chests (I frequent a lot of flea markets) and found a 12-point 1/2 socket that fit it exactly. Before this I never really knew why those sockets exsisted except to strip Hex-heads. Best believe those won't be re-used.

thanks guys

Comment

• bmohan55
              4th Gear
              • Sep 2008

BTW, the former owner of my truck was an aircraft mechanic for TWA...now it makes sense

Comment

• jp-
                5th Gear
                • Oct 2006

I love those damn things! I'd put em all over if I had enough to go around.

I also like the 5 pointed (pentagonal) nuts. You ever see those?
                61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
                66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
                66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
                67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
                88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• Terrys
                  Overdrive
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by jp-
                  I love those damn things! I'd put em all over if I had enough to go around.

I also like the 5 pointed (pentagonal) nuts. You ever see those?
                  12 points are about the only thing GM ever came out with that made sense. I thought 5 point was only waterworks, or one of those funky gascocks.

Comment

Working...