Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Low Range
    • Oct 2006

Just to ensure credit to the right guy the view port into the bell housing was CliftonRovers idea...but this is proving to be a very useful thread and I have learnt a whole bunch about clutches on series trucks and mine must be the diapram type (no tabs to remove). Meantime I hope NorthOceanBeach is making progress resolving his slippping clutch...

Comment

• scott
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

oh yea i almost forgot, how's it going northocean? i didn't me to highjack your thread.

i'm thinking maybe red clips removed but the bolts that held 'em reinserted. the yellow arow is pointing to a piece (tab) that looks like it should be bolted down. jp, any one else, what do you think?
      '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
      '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
      '76 Spitfire 1500
      '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• jp-
        5th Gear
        • Oct 2006

Scott,

I've never seen those tabs painted red, but I'm pretty sure that they're supposed to be there. I think I've got an old plate laying around that I can check later today or tomorrow.

Here's another clutch link for you.

Trouble-free operation of modern automotive equipment requires the use of proper maintenance procedures and safety checks on all vehicle systems. This book guides readers through the basic maintenance, diagnosis, and servicing of all automotive systems, from tool and shop safety through the steps necessary to maintain a modern motor vehicle. Thoroughly up-to-date coverage spans the spectrum, examining basic systems such as electrical, lubrication, heating, cooling, exhaust, and transmission systems in depth. This provides readers with the foundation necessary to deal with the more complex maintenance problems of engine control computers, anti-lock braking systems, and emission controls. Supplemental restraints, tires, and drive shafts and axles are also highlighted.
        61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
        66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
        66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
        67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
        88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• northoceanbeach
          Low Range
          • Jan 2007

I hope I am too. Here's the latest development.

My neighbor said that it really seems that something is keeping the clutch just a little diengaged. He recommended that I undo the bolts on the slave cylinder and if it pushed itself off as I undid the bots that would be a sign. So I undid the bolts a bit and the slave did push away. I can apply moderate pressure and push it back in place but it does feel like it's pushing. Does this make any sense? And if so what should I do about it.

ALso does the series 3 have a hole to look into see the throwout bhearing? I don't remember seeing one when I put the new clutch in, but I also wasn't looking for one.

Comment

• Clive
            Low Range
            • Oct 2006

Yes, there is an inspection cover on the bell housing just infront of the gear stick. Shine a flash light down there and you can see the clutch operation when it is depressed and released.

Comment

• scott
              Overdrive
              • Oct 2006

north

the length of that rise you got when loosening the slave, can you shorten the linkage below the slave by the an equal distance?
              Last edited by scott; 03-09-2007, 11:57 AM.
              '76 Spitfire 1500

Comment

• northoceanbeach
                Low Range
                • Jan 2007

How would you shorten the slave linkage? I already have the clutch master linkage adjusted so there is free play and I thought that the series three slave has no adjustment.

Comment

• Clive
                  Low Range
                  • Oct 2006

My SIII has no adjustment capability on the slave rod. Can you measure it or photograph it?

Comment

• northoceanbeach
                    Low Range
                    • Jan 2007

Yeah, I can go out today and snap a few. I just don't get what would do this. Maybe it's not releasing pressure so the slave is always pushing the pin a little or maybe the pin is too long.

Comment

• scott
                      Overdrive
                      • Oct 2006

sorry you iii ers. mine's a iia and my slave rod is adjustalbe. i can post a pic tonight. north did you get your view hole openned? could your throw out assembly not be seated? it seems it'd have to be that or maybe your clutch pedal return spring? would the wieght of a clutch pedal be enough to push the master cylinder piston enough to compress the fluid enough to push the slave cylinder piston enough to move the linkage enough to partially compress the diaphrm style spring which i hear takes ~200 lbs to full compress?

jp anymore thoughts on the red things on my new diaphram style pressure plate, the instuctions to remove 'em and your thinking they should stay?
                      Last edited by scott; 03-10-2007, 07:17 PM.
                      '76 Spitfire 1500

Comment

• scott
                        Overdrive
                        • Oct 2006

the iii's don't have this linkage?

as for the red clips. i figured it out. i took 'em off the old one to see what they do and jp was right, you don't want to remove 'em. the pressure plate separated from the diaphragm and casing. as for 'em being painted red, well that’s probably just a cruel joke perpetrated by a bored assembler at the plant meant to mess with the mind of a guy who tends to over think stuff
                        Last edited by scott; 11-08-2007, 10:33 PM.
                        '76 Spitfire 1500

Comment

• jp-
                          5th Gear
                          • Oct 2006

Scott,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread. I couldn't find my old pressure plate, but yeah, you want to leave everything as it came. They shouldn't have painted the tabs red; probably ran out of black paint.
                          Last edited by jp-; 03-12-2007, 12:06 PM.

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• jp-
                            5th Gear
                            • Oct 2006

By the way,

I'm thinking of changing my comment below to read:

-There's nothing harder than convincing someone who is certain that he's right, that he's wrong.

Comment

• jp-
                              5th Gear
                              • Oct 2006

Moderators:

Can I get some more characters for my signature field? It only allows me 150, and I'm at the limit.

Can I buy a vowel???

Comment

• scott
                                Overdrive
                                • Oct 2006

initially you may not have convinced me that i was wrong but you did stop me from puttin that tranny back in. and it was you saying that you were going to go look for an old p/p that had me saying to myself, "hey i got one, why don't i just take it apart..." and anyway, the red clips are in the tranny is in, the doors seats and floor boards aren't but i'm having fun driving it and that what counts. so did north's stop slipping?
                                '76 Spitfire 1500

Comment

Working...