X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walker
    Low Range
    • Apr 2008

napa oil filter

Happy New Year to all and may the Crazy Gods smile on your Rover! Now, I know this has been discussed elsewhere but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know the particulars for the NAPA oil filter that works with the spin-on adapter for 2.25 petrol engines? I like to support our hosts but also my local economy (12% unemployment). Thanks in advance.
  • Leslie
    5th Gear
    • Oct 2006

My spin-on filter adapters use the same filter that the Rover V8's use. At NAPA, I think it's a 1068. Purolator's is a 25195.

It's a mid-size, between a Fram PH8 and a PH16. (Those two are the same diameter, etc., have different lengths. The 8 is the big filter, the 16 is half the length. Either will interface, but lengthwise, the Rover filter is between the two, and needs an anti-drainback valve.... I'm not a fan of Frams, but it's useful to understand their sizes for cross-referencing...)
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Comment

• Walker
      Low Range
      • Apr 2008

Thanks for the info. Do you have any particular experience with the NAPA or purolator? I don't have a drain back valve on my rig.

Comment

• yorker
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

doesn't have the screw on filter listing but is useful for alternative LR parts
        1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• Andrew IIA
          3rd Gear
          • Feb 2008

I've had consistanly lousy experiences with Fram filters and consistantly good experiences with NAPA filters (I ask for a filter for a NAS D90); obviously I have a spin-on filter adapter.

Regards, Andrew
          '63 SIIA 88" SW
          Andrew
          '63 SIIA 88" SW

http://hungrynaturalist.blogspot.com/

Rover Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkal...7610584998247/

Comment

• scott
            Overdrive
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Walker
            Thanks for the info. Do you have any particular experience with the NAPA or purolator? I don't have a drain back valve on my rig.
            the anti drain back or the anti back flow is a inner part of the filter. there's another thread here somewhere where i talk about putting my spin on adapter on backwards cuz i like the position of the gauge/light port. work fine for 2 years then along came a fram with an anti back flow valve and i did about 7 miles before the rod and main bearings siezed.
            '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
            '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
            '76 Spitfire 1500
            '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• yorker
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

Which spin on oil filter adapter do you have? You can adapt a 2.25 using OEM parts from the 2.5l or you can buy that aftermarket hockey puck style adapter. I think the same filters can screw onto either of them but I've never used the 2.5's adapter.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• TedW
                5th Gear
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by yorker
                Which spin on oil filter adapter do you have?

FWIW I have a Rocky Mountain adapter. It has tapped ports for both a low-pressure light sender and for an oil guage sender. It also has a label riveted to it so you don't install it upside down.

Comment

• yorker
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

Out of curiosity-what filter does Rocky Mountain say to use with it?

See Sandy's post here:

Dave I've read the same thing- that the energy conserving oild contain additives that will screw up the wet clutches. Supposedly the manuals now say t

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• TedW
                    5th Gear
                    • Feb 2007

Out of curiosity-what filter does Rocky Mountain say to use with it?
                    I am using a Fram PH-8A equivalent Mobil1 filter, so I assume that's what the instructions said to use. I will check the instructions when I get home.

The photo on their site shows it with a Pennzoil PZ-7, which equates to a Fram PH43 - a smaller filter than the PH8A.
                    Last edited by TedW; 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

• scott
                      Overdrive
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by TedW
                      FWIW I have a Rocky Mountain adapter. It has tapped ports for both a low-pressure light sender and for an oil guage sender. It also has a label riveted to it so you don't install it upside down.

mine has only one port but a tee allows for both the light and gauge. it's stamped "Top" and "Front" but like a potato head i didn't pay attention to that
                      '76 Spitfire 1500

Comment

• yorker
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

I am using a PH-8 equivalent Mobil1 filter, so I assume that's what the instructions said to use. I will check the instructions when I get home.

I think PH8 and 8A are the same but I could be wrong.

I don't know the difference either- I still use the old style filters on the 2.25s. I bought one of the puck style adapters from AB but it was crappy and I never got around to trying it out.

I'm tempted to try one of these:
                        NEW - Oil Filter Adapter Assembly
                        Convert your S111/2a to the later screw on filter type
                        £45.00
                        ERR 3340 - spare filter £ 5.45

But for that $ it can wait.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• yorker
                          Overdrive
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by scott
                          http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/at...4&d=1255616344

mine has only one port but a tee allows for both the light and gauge. it's got stamped "Top" and "Front" but like a potato head i didn't pay attention to that

Scott where did you get yours?

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• TedW
                            5th Gear
                            • Feb 2007

I am using a Fram PH-8A equivalent Mobil1 filter, so I assume that's what the instructions said to use. I will check the instructions when I get home.

The photo on their site shows it with a Pennzoil PZ-7, which equates to a Fram PH43 - a smaller filter than the PH8A.

I updated my earlier post - see above.

Comment

• scott
                              Overdrive
                              • Oct 2006

Scott where did you get yours?
                              can't really remember, you know that potato head syndrome of mine, but it most likely would have been RN, PB, AB, RDS or RF.
                              '76 Spitfire 1500

Comment

Working...