X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by daveb
    are you sure its a 2.5? What is your engine number?

Lots of people mistake the 2.25 5 bearing for a 2.5.

A 2.5 Petrol should be a 17H engine as detailed here
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• NickDawson
      5th Gear
      • Apr 2009

[QUOTE=daveb;50355

I've used dingocroft with great success, [/QUOTE]
      Thanks! Rang them up today - $200 later I've got a fancy new starter headed my way. I agree with your earlier hint - that was easy, but if I hadn't asked I never would have found Dingocroft!

Thanks daveb

Comment

• Jim-ME
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

Nick,
        I may be stating something that you already know but when you search for 2.5 L parts to the best of my knowledge, you need to search in the Defender section of the websites. I know this because I have to buy parts for a 2.5 L diesel and that engine was never factory installed in a Series truck.
        Jim

Comment

• NickDawson
          5th Gear
          • Apr 2009

just a quick update, the new starter arrived on Monday from the UK - not bad, 3 business day shipping!

I was able to slap it in place in 20 minutes and the rover runs again!

I was going to leave out the fact that I shorted it out at one point and thought I had destroyed the entire electrical system...but thought it too humorous to omit.

One more question - when re-attaching the exhaust to the manifold, do I need any kind of sealant? There doesn't appear to be any reside on it now, just don't want to create a dangerous leak.

Comment

• 4flattires
            4th Gear
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by NickDawson
            I was able to slap it in place in 20 minutes and the rover runs again!
            Great!

I was going to leave out the fact that I shorted it out at one point and thought I had destroyed the entire electrical system...
            Hopefully you learned rule #1 about automotive electrical repair. Often preached, rarely practiced and dire results happen when things go bad. Disconnect the battery when working on electrical shi....stuff.

when re-attaching the exhaust to the manifold, do I need any kind of sealant?
            No
            64 SIIa 109 all stock
            69 SIIa 88 all stock
            Old tractors
            New Harleys
            Old trucks

Comment

• NickDawson
              5th Gear
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by 4flattires
              Great!
              Hopefully you learned rule #1 about automotive electrical repair. Often preached, rarely practiced and dire results happen when things go bad. Disconnect the battery when working on electrical shi....stuff.
              Actually, what I did was even sillier than that... I wired the many (and I need to figure out why there are many) red wires to the top terminal on the solenoid... then I was left with a heavy black cable and thought "thats odd, wonder where that goes? I dont remember it... black usually means negative right? But doesnt this thing ground by being connected to the block? I'll just attach it to the other terminal on the solenoid"...

Of course nothing happened b/c I had disconnected the battery.

As soon as I reconnected the negative on the battery, the starter started spinning at high RPMs ... quick check with the voltage meter and realized that the heavy black cable was in fact the hot lead from the positive side of the battery.

live and learn, right?

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                Overdrive
                • Apr 2008

Yeah, that big terminal on the starter is the primary electircal distribution point for the entire vehicle. Can't get more juice in one spot than there!

Nice job!
                --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

Working...