Page 152 of 229 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2287

Thread: What did you do to your Rover today?

Just waited to get mine back.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by primerib View Post
    Is there no limit to how much style one person can have?
    Glad you like that. Originally I used the 109 since getting to the back of the park was a little...muddy. Not that a sedan can't do it, but why muddy up the DD when I got mud tires on the truck?

Speaking of the 109, today its transmission comes BACK out . Reverse wasn't working too good and replacing the detent springs didn't help much.

In the meantime, I've been making progress on procuring the new fort that the 109 will live at. Don't think I'll get all the electrical done before we move in but at least will get the garage floor painted.

Removed a disfunctional temperature gauge and odometer/speedometer and sent them off to Vancouver to be fixed. Removed my rear differential to get the broken axle out. While I had it out I swapped all the lock washers out for grade 8 and locktited them all.

Today, I made a small jig to bend some steel:

Some 1/2" round bar and a bit of angle iron:

I marked out and bent some strips I had previously cut:

It took a bit of practice but I got it worked out:

I still need to tack and weld up this crossmember but every bit helps:

Nice fab work WCKev!!!

Today, I welded up the crossmember and got most of the rear diff back together.

Tacking it together.

The top part tacked in position:

Welding:

I still need to cut out the old one and trim the ends of the new one and hit the welds with the sanding disk. I am about of gas too for the welder. #$%^#

The case and the internals and new bearings. This one got delayed because I needed to get shims.

Fitted the iner bearing on the pinion shaft:

Putting on shims for the outer pinion bearing:

And the bearing itself:

Sitting the carrier/ring gear in position:

Putting on the caps:

First check of the pattern.

It is not terrible but the ring gear backlash is a little tight right now at 0.005"
    I will open it up to 0.008"-0.010" and see how it looks after that. The pattern should move a bit toward the heel of the teeth. The gears are old though so the pattern is not going to be perfect. I do not mind doing it a few times if I need to. It got to be dinner time so I will finish it tomorrow hopefully.

I found some inspiration on this forum several months ago that got me thinking about a swing away rear tire carrier for my rover. I am not sure who posted the custom built carrier or where, but it stuck in my head until I had to build one. I spent every night for the last 7 days cutting, grinding and welding, and the finished product is very functional. To whomever built the original, thank you for the innovative design.

Default She is alive!

Over the course of the past two weekends Beulah has been the proud recipient of a SIII gearbox, transfer case, and bell housing. Buttoned it all up on Friday night and took her for a spin down the street and she ran like a Rover (loud and proud)! The Fairey sounded good as well. Changed all the fluids and awaiting the alternator brackets. Now to attend to some cosmetic issues before the 7 hour drive to Florida.

Thanks again to all of you in the forum that supported the effort with your insight and recommendations. This was a significant part of the success of the effort.

Derek
    Last edited by WilsBoar; 04-09-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    1969 Series IIa 109
    She is ugly but she is mine...

That is great news. I am glad you got your gearbox sorted out.