Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Series without Overdrives.....

Default Series without Overdrives.....

Hello everyone...
    I'm just wondering how many of you with standard 2.5 petrol engines without the OD hit the road on long trips. I want to hit the road on some trips up to VT to visit friends, but with a top speed of 55-60.....I'm very hesitant.

I ask because every time I think I'm ready to buy an OD or roverdrive something comes up and the funds magically disappear.

Thanks again.

go for it, Ive taken a lot of trips in no/OD trucks even with the 1.6 and 2.0L engines

Default Are you running 16" tires???

I have 235/85/16's and can cruise comfortably at 50 or so without shifting into OD.

Goodyear G90 (7.50R16)

Quote Originally Posted by jrd51ox View Post
    Goodyear G90 (7.50R16)
    IIRC your tires have a similar diameter to mine.

If you are really worried about it then stick to roads that were in use when your Rover was designed. People use these trucks every day all over the world for the last 60 years without any overdrives.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I take plenty of long trips with my 109 pulled by the 2.5 diesel (65 hp when new). Worst rover/engine combo there is, but I can still do 55-60mph on level ground (eventually) with 235 85R 16s and no overdrive.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by jrd51ox View Post
    Hello everyone...
    I'm just wondering how many of you with standard 2.5 petrol engines without the OD hit the road on long trips. I want to hit the road on some trips up to VT to visit friends, but with a top speed of 55-60.....I'm very hesitant.

I ask because every time I think I'm ready to buy an OD or roverdrive something comes up and the funds magically disappear.

Thanks again.
    a series Rover may be slow compared to other stuff on the highway but it fits right in on the backroads. It will definitely be a more interesting trip on those back roads. YOu can always do 1/2 and 1/2, take the highways to get through NY and then once into New England take some of the backroads.

If you do take the highway and the weather is bad and everyone else slows down you will still arrive at about the same time as if the weather was good cause you didn't have to slow down as much or at all!

I have taken many a long trip both with and without overdrives. The overdrive allowed me to cruise at 65-70. Without it I usually keep it to 60. On long trips I also tend to wear earplugs.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

minimum speed on most us hwys is 45 mph. if you can do that who cares what those in a hurry types scream at you, you can't hear them anyway you're in a rover doing 50.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover View Post
    I have taken many a long trip both with and without overdrives. The overdrive allowed me to cruise at 65-70. Without it I usually keep it to 60. On long trips I also tend to wear earplugs.
    What Brent said. You will have a much more pleasant trip if you take secondary roads, and it won't take that much longer.

I hate highway trips because every car (and semi) on the road passes you at 70MPH, and it is LOUD. Very unpleasant. If you do take the interstate, be sure to have lotsa Excedrin with you. You'll need it, IMO.