Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saxondog
    Low Range
    • Jan 2008

I just went through Bithlo today, I travel for my job. If you still don't have it by the weekend give me a call. 352-267-2870
    78 RHD 109 12 Passenger Wagon

Comment

• scott
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by gim
      ... what could be happening in the distributor that would prevent the coil from firing? It's grounded properly, the points have power, the condenser is new, as are all the components...

If it were shorting somewhere, the points would not show 12 volts on the multimeter, but they do. I can't see that it's shorting anywhere.
      my buddy jeff's ground wire from the distributor deck to the distributor body looked intact. but when he removed it there was only one stand of the wire left. he made a new and his '64 fired right up.
      '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
      '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
      '76 Spitfire 1500
      '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• Donnie
        2nd Gear
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gim
        Hi folks, first time poster here. Thanks for taking a look.

I have a 1965 SIIA 88 with a relatively new 2.25 petrol engine, equipped with a Ducellier distributor. I recently replaced the camshaft, as the timing gear keyway sheared out of the old one. The timing is set correctly, and the distrubutor seems to be in good working order. Here's the problem: no spark to any of the plugs. Now before you start responding, read on. I have replaced and gapped the points, the condenser, the cap and rotor, the coil, and all of the plug wires and plugs. I have positive power to the coil, and I have positive power to the points when they are open and not when closed, so they are breaking the connection. However, I don't seem to be getting any power from the main coil lead into the cap, or from the cap to the wires, or from the wires to the plugs, and no spark from the plugs. I have checked and rechecked everything I can think of and I simply cannot figure this out. I would really really appreciate any help or advice or suggestions from any of you guys, because I'm at a complete loss here.

Thanks,

Ben
        with everything connected and a test light in hand, no meter required: turn on the key, one side of the coil should have current, then have a helper turn the motor over while U put your test light on the other coil terminal, it should pulse while cranking the engine..if it doesn't the problem is in you dist..something is grounded or mis-connected, if it does pulse, then pull the coil to dist high tension lead, from the cap and hold it about 10 mm from the engine, leave it in the coil, as you want to see if there is spark from the coil....be careful as there is high voltage available at this wire if all systems prior are OK
        I spent most of my money on women & cars, the rest of it I just wasted.......

Comment

• gim
          Low Range
          • Mar 2008

Couple of things:

I don't have a deck-to-body ground wire, as I don't have a Rover distrubutor; I have a Ducellier distributor and it grounds directly from the plate to the body with 3 screws.

I don't have another distributor I can test with, and I don't know anyone who does (except now I know Saxondog is sort of in the area).

The points ARE breaking the connection on the high tension lead, and there is nothing grounded as I have 12v all the way to the points (until they break contact), but there is still nothing coming out of the main coil lead (to the top of the rotor cap).

Saxondog:

I may actually get you to at least look at this thing on Sunday, depending on how things go... I'll pay you or buy you beers and water and cook you lunch/dinner... well, I'll get my wife to cook anyway...

Comment

• yorker
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

If need be I might have an extra Dizzy I could send you. It would take a few days to get to FL though.

Here is a suggestion from a UK board for you:
            it sounds like he has lost the fibre washer that fits over the points and under the clip if he hasen't lost that as well.
            http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=116111
            Last edited by yorker; 04-03-2008, 07:03 PM.
            1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• Saxondog
              Low Range
              • Jan 2008

No goodies or money needed, would be good a excuse to take the 109 for a ride.
              78 RHD 109 12 Passenger Wagon

Comment

• yorker
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

Lets see if this works...

Templ4r:
                Re: Ducellier and Lucas Dizzy
                These are the parts Graham means.
                Also make sure the condensor is properly earthed in it's strap.

Chris
                http://forum.landrovernet.com/showth...=116111&page=2
                Last edited by yorker; 05-06-2008, 02:13 PM.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• gim
                  Low Range
                  • Mar 2008

Hey Yorker,

Yeah I actually do have those parts installed, but I appreciate your input. That washer is made out of something called phenolic, which is a very interesting poly resin. It's quite incredibly durable and a really great insulate (my dad used to market the stuff to plastics companies).

I just want to make sure of something, I asked this before but no one responded: the hot wire from the ignition goes to the positive post of the coil right? And the negative post is connected to the points/condenser right? I just want to be certain I have that correct. (I have tried it both ways with different coils, but I want to be sure)

Comment

• yorker
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

ignition goes to + wire from negative goes to distributor (contact breakers)

I'm stumped- I guess this is just one of those things where you have to be there to diagnose. I'm not very good at this over the net anyway- much better hands-on. Hopefully Saxondog can help you out, he'll be looking at it with a fresh outlook.

I had a similar problem to what you are describing years ago but I think with me it was the washer.

If worst comes to worst I'll send you a dizzy- I think I have a Duce somewhere. If not I know I have the standard dizzy, it is just a matter of finding them.
                    Last edited by yorker; 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• gim
                      Low Range
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by yorker
                      ignition goes to + wire from negative goes to distributor (contact breakers)

I'm stumped- I guess this is just one of those things where you have to be there to diagnose. I'm not very good at this over the net anyway- much better hands-on. Hopefully Saxondog can help you out, he'll be looking at it with a fresh outlook.

I had a similar problem to what you are describing years ago but I think with me it was the washer.

If worst comes to worst I'll send you a dizzy- I think I have a Duce somewhere. If not I know I have the standard dizzy, it is just a matter of finding them.
                      Thanks Yorker,

It's really got me stumped as well. The dizzy is just the rotor isn't it? I have a few of those (new, in fact), and i've tried replacing them, but my problem seems to be that the coil isn't firing. And I just replaced it with a Rover coil from Atlantic British, and changed the condensor again... Something just isn't right. I hope Saxondog can help. I'll give him a call today. If Saxondog can't figure it out I suppose I'm going to have to tow in into town and get someone to look at it. I'll keep you folks posted... Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

• yorker
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

No dizzy= Distributer, the whole kit and kaboodle.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• gim
                          Low Range
                          • Mar 2008

Oh. well then... my mistake... I'll certainly let you know if I need it. Hopefully not, but I appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

• exodusrover
                            Low Range
                            • Jul 2007

Gim did you ever figure this out!? I literally just stumbled across this forum and this post because Im having the EXACT same problem and been searching for a solution. Literally ive been going crazy for a week trying to figure out why i cannot get a spark out of my coil to the distributor. Please let me know if you found a solution or if they locked you up in a padded room because thats how Im feeling right now!

Comment

• Pete
                              Low Range
                              • Jan 2007

Dist issue

Hey Ben. Did you ever resolve your problem? If so, what was the issue?

Pete

Comment

Working...