Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wander
    2nd Gear
    • Jan 2010

Well that stinks, I can only imagine the sick feeling you had when it broke.

Oh well, the build up is the real fun anyway.
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Comment

• gudjeon
      5th Gear
      • Oct 2006

Took it out to find some more old logging railway remnants lost in the woods of time.

Comment

• G.G. Sprock
        Low Range
        • Aug 2008

Hmmm, stripped and painted the front of the chassis to my 1965 109SW 2.25 Diesel RHD in my "spare" time. I am starting to see the "turn around" point where I can start bolting stuff back on the frame... one day :-)

Comment

• bear7343
          Low Range
          • Apr 2010

Fixed the ignition crisis (with help from the old man). Then I took the seats out, floor boards and unbolted the seat box in preperation for next weekends clutch work, then I got a phone call and used the excuse of fishing to prevent more knuckle banging...

Comment

• siiirhd88
            3rd Gear
            • Oct 2006

The other day I installed a Weber progressive 2V carb on the 109. It was a used carb I found at the J**p junkyard for $25, already on an adapter that bolted up to the standard 2.25 intake. The truck has a much better top end, but doesn't seem to take the hills as easy as the Rochester. I still have to wire up the electric choke and check the mileage, while I re-jet the old Rochester.

Today, we bought a 2002 Disco II SD with 77K miles to replace the unreliable '96 Disco SE7 with 196K miles.

Bob

Comment

• TedW
              5th Gear
              • Feb 2007

I replaced the 40 year old ball joints........

.....on my longitudinal steering tube. What a PITA!

Took me almost two twelve-packs to get through it.

Comment

• bmohan55
                4th Gear
                • Sep 2008

Put on an electric fuel pump (NAPA $53) to combat my vapor lock. Also moved the fuel filter from in front of the carb to the other side of the engine. We'll see....
                04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
                '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                  Overdrive
                  • Apr 2008

Power Washed My Engine Bay...

Power-washed my engine bay in preparation for stuffing "new" engine. Cleanest it's been in 6 years!

Two things to note:

1) Leaking oil cooler lines double as a great engine bay preservative and

2) My transmissioin and transfer case are painted silver after all!
                  --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                  (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• utahseries
                    1st Gear
                    • Apr 2009

Bolted my engine and trans together and bolted them into place. Finished connecting clutch linkage, and installed my remote breathers for my axle cases!
                    1956 86" S1
                    1957 88" S1
                    1967 109" SIIA NADA
                    2007 LR3

Comment

• rbonnett
                      1st Gear
                      • May 2009

Did my routine stuff: fluids check, etc. Checked and set the points and plugs. Adjusted the valves, replaced the leaky valve cover gasket.

When I did the compression check I got (1-4): 155,120,150,145. This was after doing the valve adjustment. I wonder if I have an emerging problem with #2? At idle, pulling the #2 plug wire sounds like it has the same effect that any of the others do, for what that's worth.

I adjusted the timing - which was way off. I am very suspicious of the distributor clamp - see Jeff A's recent article on the DELRC shop day for the details on that.

Anyway, took it for a quick road test - everything seemed as fine as it ever is. Did the one last thing - tightening the distributor clamp bolt snug. See my separate post about the now dead starter

Oh yeah - took the insulation out of the soft top, now that Spring is here.
                      '72 88" - daily driver
                      '64 109 SW - project in waiting

Comment

• SeriesShorty
                        2nd Gear
                        • Sep 2008

I finally made some good progress getting started back on my Series. I've been working on removing the massive amount of wiring that a FFR truck uses, yanking all the 24v parts, etc.

Of course, shipfitters is kicking in a little bit so I figured I might as well remove the seatbox so I can get everything cleaned up before running the new wiring harness. After hours of struggling with rusted bolts, and the reciprocating saw to get the really stubborn ones, the seatbox is finally out. It's so nice to be able to get to all the guts under there and get things cleaned up!

It feels good to have a good reason to be spending more time on here.
                        1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
                        1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her

Comment

• bear7343
                          Low Range
                          • Apr 2010

Clutch

Worked on the clutch (Seats, seat box, floor boards, front left fender and tranny all removed)... to be bolted back up tomorrow...hopefully..... Then it's brakes next weekend....

Master Cylinder Good
                          Slave Cylinder Good
                          Throw Bearing appears to be good
                          Clutch Housing... may have been seized up, popped when I started losening the bolts.

***Les - what is the deal with transmission mounts??? They seem to fail every five years or so... is that your take on it as well???

Comment

• siiirhd88
                            3rd Gear
                            • Oct 2006

Yesterday we drove the wife's V8 SIIA 109 the 435 miles from Pa. to our other home in NC. Today we used the winch to pull several stumps and then loaded up the 109 for a trip to the dump.

Tomorrow I head back to Pa., with a stop on the way to talk Series Rovers.

Bob
                            '02 Disco II SD
                            '96 Disco SE7
                            '80 SIII 109
                            '75 SIII 88 V8
                            '68 SIIA 109 V8

Comment

• mrdoiron
                              4th Gear
                              • Dec 2009

...managed to get a brain cramp trying to wire a replacement hazard switch & flasher light on the dash panel. Gonna take a breather (and beer) and try again tomorrow...

mike
                              ---------------------------
                              1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
                              1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
                              1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
                              1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
                              1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
                              2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
                              2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

• scott
                                Overdrive
                                • Oct 2006

painted the fuel tanks that came back from the cleaners the other day. while at it i painted the rear xmbr on my 88 which i should of done months ago when i cut and welded it back into a serviceable thing. had to pulled off and the hitch and grab handles so i painted them. used the ambi and the 88 and some chain stretch between 'em to hang everything on. now the rear of the 88 looks a lot better. the po gave the truck an earl shive paint job. everything including the galvy trim and caps. so now the rear xmber and the tabs that go up to the tub are grey. the grab handles and hitch are black.
                                '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
                                '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
                                '76 Spitfire 1500
                                '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

Working...