Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrdoiron
    4th Gear
    • Dec 2009

I noticed that tow ball as well... nice add at that stage, seems this little girl is planned as a trailer partner ?
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

• martindktm
      2nd Gear
      • Jun 2008

SafeAirOne and Mrdoiron....The tow ball was already on the front bumper when I bought the truck. So I let it there. Might be useful and easy to park a trailer in a tight space...?

Comment

• mrdoiron
        4th Gear
        • Dec 2009

I think it'll come in handy ... wish I had one on the Lightweight.
        ---------------------------
        1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
        1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
        1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
        1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
        1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
        2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
        2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

• martindktm
          2nd Gear
          • Jun 2008

Today I when to the auto part store because they can make you any color you whant in a spay can with much better quality paint that what we found in any hardware store. So I did tell the guy to make me a can of bronze green paint for testing. I dont have the equipement and money to make a proffessional paint job so I do with what I can do and afford. I also bought a quality spray can primer and cleaned one of the floor pannel for testing and here's the final result...

And here is the passenger side floor pan compare to the one I did. They where both in the same condition before I touch them.

I will let it dry all night and tomorrow I will test how rugged the finish is. Maybe I will spray paint the entire truck...exept the roof becaus its in perfect shape. I will use the truck in the wood anyway and it won't be a trailer queen. So paint job is not the number one prority. Someday when I may be ritch I will pay someone to do a pro paint job on it...

Comment

• siii8873
            Overdrive
            • Jul 2007

New liftgate / tailgate

This last weekend i replaced my rotted out back door with a liftgate and tailgate. Also replaced my drivers side door top with a RM. Waiting to install passenger side until I replace my windscreen which is dented and hits passenger side door top. The liftgate /Tailgate parts were obtained from a few people on this forum thanks all.

Last edited by siii8873; 01-10-2011, 09:34 PM.
            THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
            THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
            THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
            THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
            THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
            THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• masonater
              3rd Gear
              • Nov 2007

powder coated the swivel ball housings, u bolts, spring plates, and various other small parts olive drab after a coat of corrosion resistant primer just for the heck of it. Came out really nice. Also got my 1954 baker forklift running that sat for 15 years so now i can pick my frame up solo and take her outside for one last coal slag blasting. Then its eastwood extreme black time. I cant wait to see it all painted up.

To top my day off i had some new friends join me, 2 baby hawks that fell out of the nest of the roof of my hangar and just hung out all day while i worked on the rover! The mother kept bringing them mice and i got to watch them gobble them right up! very neat.
              Last edited by masonater; 03-31-2011, 12:17 AM.
              1970 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
              1971 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
              1982 Mercedes 300TD
              1989 RRC
              1993 D110
              1994 RRC LWB
              1995 RRC SWB Brooklands Edition
              1995 RRC LWB
              1995 RRC LWB
              1995 Disco
              1996 GMC 2500 Suburban
              1996 Disco
              1997 Disco
              2001 RR P38
              2005 LR3 HSE
              2006 RR HSE

Comment

• NickDawson
                5th Gear
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by martindktm
                Today I when to the auto part store because they can make you any color you whant in a spay can with much better quality paint that what we found in any hardware store.
                Would love to hear how it holds up - might be a good solution for my top.

Comment

• bmohan55
                  4th Gear
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by masonater

To top my day off i had some new friends join me, 2 baby hawks that fell out of the nest of the roof of my hangar and just hung out all day while i worked on the rover! The mother kept bringing them mice and i got to watch them gobble them right up! very neat.
                  Looks like baby Falcons...you know this is a sign that you should name your rig "the Millennium Falcon "...remember the troublesome Star Wars ship?

North America’s littlest falcon, the American Kestrel packs a predator’s fierce intensity into its small body. It's one of the most colorful of all raptors: the male’s slate-blue head and wings contrast elegantly with his rusty-red back and tail; the female has the same warm reddish on her wings, back, and tail. Hunting for insects and other small prey in open territory, kestrels perch on wires or poles, or hover facing into the wind, flapping and adjusting their long tails to stay in place. Kestrels are declining in parts of their range; you can help them by putting up nest boxes.
                  04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
                  '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Comment

• masonater
                    3rd Gear
                    • Nov 2007

I thought they were falcons but some guy told me they were hawks, i stand corrected. I saw they up and flying this morning although they still need some practice.
                    1970 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
                    1971 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
                    1982 Mercedes 300TD
                    1989 RRC
                    1993 D110
                    1994 RRC LWB
                    1995 RRC SWB Brooklands Edition
                    1995 RRC LWB
                    1995 RRC LWB
                    1995 Disco
                    1996 GMC 2500 Suburban
                    1996 Disco
                    1997 Disco
                    2001 RR P38
                    2005 LR3 HSE
                    2006 RR HSE

Comment

• martindktm
                      2nd Gear
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by NickDawson
                      Would love to hear how it holds up - might be a good solution for my top.
                      Ill keep you updated on this. I have only done one floor panels so far. But what I've learn after painting it is that you need a special primer to paint over aluminum. I did not have that when I did my panel. So maybe it won't hold well. I read that you need aluminum oxide primer. I used standard stuff. I will go back to the auto part store after work tonight and see if they have some and make another test on the other floor panel.

Comment

• thixon
                        5th Gear
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by bmohan55
                        Looks like baby Falcons...you know this is a sign that you should name your rig "the Millennium Falcon "...remember the troublesome Star Wars ship?

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Kestrel/id

Too late. My 9 year old already named my 88 "the falcon." The name came about because when I brought it home, I told my wife "it doesnt look like much, but its got it where it counts." My son realized what I was referencing, and it been the falcon ever since. Too bad its not a driver yet.....
                        Travis
                        '66 IIa 88

Comment

• TedW
                          5th Gear
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by martindktm
                          Ill keep you updated on this. I have only done one floor panels so far. But what I've learn after painting it is that you need a special primer to paint over aluminum. I did not have that when I did my panel. So maybe it won't hold well. I read that you need aluminum oxide primer. I used standard stuff. I will go back to the auto part store after work tonight and see if they have some and make another test on the other floor panel.
                          Hi Martin:

When painting aluminum you need to use self-etching primer, available at most auto parts stores and marine-supply stores.

Ted

Comment

• thixon
                            5th Gear
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by TedW
                            Hi Martin:

When painting aluminum you need to use self-etching primer, available at most auto parts stores and marine-supply stores.

Ted
                            Can the etch primer and go with an epoxy primer instead. read the instructions, and top coat within the appropriate window of time.
                            Travis
                            '66 IIa 88

Comment

• bkreutz
                              4th Gear
                              • Apr 2010

I use epoxy primer when using a gun, but when I want to rattle can it, I use U-Pol Acid 8 primer, been using it a long while and it works well. (just a piece of advice though, the metal has to be bare to use it, if you spray it over any old paint, the old paint wrinkles up badly, pretty aggressive stuff) you can get it at autobody supply places (or online for about half the price supply places want for it). U-Pol is an English brand, so maybe they're thinking of Rovers when they made this stuff.
                              Gale Breitkreutz
                              '03 Disco
                              '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
                              '47 CJ2A

Comment

• amcordo
                                5th Gear
                                • Jun 2009

1. Here is a picture of what I did with my rover today that will make some of you drool: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...37&id=12302234

2. Does anyone have a picture of a left hand drive model where the steering column attaches to the support that goes between the bulkhead and the frame? It would be a pic you'll have laying around because I need to see the whole thing without the wing on. ...can't remember how that whole area sets up...

Comment

Working...