Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smukai
    Low Range
    • Jul 2007

Started her up in the -14F weather here in Colorado. Noticed that my driver side seat cushion has never been so firm. Then realized that the parking brake was frozen in place. Put her in low range to pull it out of the way and then climbed into a car with heated seats.

I'm getting soft....
    Seth

'67 IIa 109 Station Wagon (the daughter's toy)
    2003 XC70 (for the dog)
    2006 XC70 (for the wife/daughter/son)
    2002 650 Dakar (for trip planning purposes)

Comment

• cousindave
      1st Gear
      • Jan 2007

She burned another starter solenoid........I gotta figure this out

Comment

• Jeff Aronson
        • Oct 2006

Rover Use Today

I might just let my Rover sit out today's major snowstorm.

Jeff
        Jeff Aronson
        Vinalhaven, ME 04863
        '66 Series II-A SW 88"
        '66 Series II-A HT 88"
        '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
        '80 Triumph Spitfire
        '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
        http://www.landroverwriter.com

Comment

• Lord Icon
          1st Gear
          • Jul 2008

the on going fetish...

In the past few weekends, George the series 3 ( mark2) has had the following done in prep for the Winter Romp ...
          New delco alt upgrade, then trace the lucas wires down to find out why it won't work.
          new volt meter ( non- smiths so it works right out of the box)
          3 new power points for all the new tech that goes dead in a landy while in the woods, ( phone , gps, etc.)
          2 new butt warmers in each seat, holy hooga mooga ! warm seats in a series 3!!!
          changed out the canister oil filter to a screw on style. Spent the next 5 days tracing down wiring to a factory oil gauge that was inop, and not listed on any diagram...
          yah! everything works... hold on ... where's my water temp , oil pressure and fuel level gone to? ... Trace lucas down to corroded connection to fuse powering up the voltage reducer....
          Today is the big day of communication. CB and antenna and wiring go in today as well as the power bits for the radio...
          I plan on 3-4 hours, I'm sure it will take every last moment till the romp....
          Whence came you my brother ? From the East....

Comment

• Big_Mark
            Low Range
            • Dec 2010

I found a local junk yard that I didn't know about. They have 3-4 mid 90's Ranger Rovers and Discovery 1's I was able to pull the automatic gear selector lever cover (the flimsy plastic piece that keeps fumes out and your spare change inside! LOL ) out of the RR disassembled and cleaned the part I needed, then pulled out my center console in the Disco and replaced the old part. Of course it didn't work right the first time, the plastic almost ripped apart, so I pulled it all apart (2nd time) added more space between a couple of parts put then I put it all back together. This time it worked nicely and I saved $180.! I paid $10. for the shift selector indicator/cover.

What's even better is I know a junk yard 15 minutes from my house that has 3-4 sets of axles I can buy for cheap.

It was a great "Discovery" (pun intended).

Comment

• Cutter
              4th Gear
              • Feb 2009

Pulled a late night installing a RN receiver hitch and then decided to pull the wing off and replace my ill fitting and cracked manifold with a better specimen I found. Of course that ended taking many, many hours to get all apart. Unfortunately I can't fire it up to confirm it works as my order for the rubber bushings for the rear fuel tank mount shipped minus a part. Not really looking forward to muscling the tank back up into position anyways.

Comment

• tuko
                Low Range
                • Apr 2008

On the wife's Disco 1 I replaced the broken spring in the driver's door lock. What a fiddly job it turned out to be. I bought a complete set of springs on eBay and even following the instructions here: http://www.wizardbilt.com/Door%20Spr...eplacement.htm I found that the instructions were not complete. I had to remove another unidentified bolt to get the window channel to lift out. And they don't tell you how to install the spring.....lots of cursing did help tremendously.

Job done, no more reaching around from the back door to open the drivers door.

Todd.
                My Series 3 Hybrid
                300Di Powered
                Småland Traxx - Offroad Aventure Tours. More info can be found on Facebook.

Comment

• masonater
                  3rd Gear
                  • Nov 2007

today i painted the engine block alpine green after a few coats of primer and i think it came out really nice. Powder coated the valve cover and oil pan too. i couldn't even wait for it to dry before i started putting the powder coated bits on. now i need to replace the rear main seal which is scaring me after looking through the green bible.
                  Last edited by masonater; 03-31-2011, 12:19 AM.
                  1970 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
                  1971 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
                  1982 Mercedes 300TD
                  1989 RRC
                  1993 D110
                  1994 RRC LWB
                  1995 RRC SWB Brooklands Edition
                  1995 RRC LWB
                  1995 RRC LWB
                  1995 Disco
                  1996 GMC 2500 Suburban
                  1996 Disco
                  1997 Disco
                  2001 RR P38
                  2005 LR3 HSE
                  2006 RR HSE

Comment

• Momo
                    3rd Gear
                    • Dec 2006

Disassembled the gearbox out of my 109 SW. Reverse was popping out with force. Found a worn selector fork and a bit of wear on the reverse idler gear. Also 3rd and 4th gear synchro ring is worn. Other than that, no surprises. I think the combination of fork wear causing and tooth wear on the gear were not allowing a full mesh, which is why it was popping out, but in any event it will get those parts replaced and be back together soon (I hope).
                    '60 SII Station Wagon
                    '64 SIIA 109 Regular
                    '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

Comment

• Momo
                      3rd Gear
                      • Dec 2006

Also, the other day I fixed my brake lights on the 109 pickup (bad hydraulic switch) and my Pangolin alternator brackets came- on which will hang a new Delco 10SI alternator. I will hopefully do that work tomorrow. The old C40 dynamo has packed it in so it's time for an upgrade.

I had a good long freeway run in the pickup today, and she clocked a steady 75 mph wide open throttle on level ground in 4th OD.

I wish the station wagon could do that! Not that I drive my Rovers fast, but I wanted to see what the old ship would do, and blow some carbon out, since it hasn't seen much use lately except around town hauling lumber, concrete and other materials for my million home improvement projects...
                      '60 SII Station Wagon
                      '64 SIIA 109 Regular

Comment

• albersj51
                        5th Gear
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by Momo
                        Also, the other day I fixed my brake lights on the 109 pickup (bad hydraulic switch) and my Pangolin alternator brackets came- on which will hang a new Delco 10SI alternator. I will hopefully do that work tomorrow. The old C40 dynamo has packed it in so it's time for an upgrade.

I had a good long freeway run in the pickup today, and she clocked a steady 75 mph wide open throttle on level ground in 4th OD.

I wish the station wagon could do that! Not that I drive my Rovers fast, but I wanted to see what the old ship would do, and blow some carbon out, since it hasn't seen much use lately except around town hauling lumber, concrete and other materials for my million home improvement projects...
                        Clocked 75? Are you running a 2.25L petrol?

Comment

• Momo
                          3rd Gear
                          • Dec 2006

Yeah, 2.25 petrol, compression is near 9:1 due to prior head rebuild. Rochester carb is the only other modification. Stock exhaust, manifolds and oil bath. GPS said the indicated speed was accurate to within 7 meters. Speedo was pegged. I know, hard to believe. I had to back off due to high speed buffet. And my exit was coming up.
                          '60 SII Station Wagon
                          '64 SIIA 109 Regular

Comment

• 73series88
                            5th Gear
                            • Oct 2009

got my new winch setup and d rings today
                            still mocking up everything up before i start drilling stuff
                            aaron
                            Last edited by 73series88; 02-28-2011, 10:09 AM.
                            73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
                            67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
                            88 RRC sold
                            60 mga coupe

Comment

• mrdoiron
                              4th Gear
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by 73series88
                              got my new winch setup and d rings today
                              still mocking up everything up before i start drilling stuff
                              aaron
                              Very nice, what is the tonnage rating on that bad boy?
                              ---------------------------
                              1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
                              1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
                              1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
                              1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
                              1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
                              2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
                              2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

• 73series88
                                5th Gear
                                • Oct 2009

8000 lbs
                                hope its enough
                                aaron
                                73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver