1st Gear
    • Dec 2006

oh yeah the 109 will be there the classic is for the wife and kids

Comment

• LR Max
      3rd Gear
      • Feb 2010

I drove my 109 to work.

I know it sounds stupid, but its the little things that make this labor of love worth it.

Comment

• smukai
        Low Range
        • Jul 2007

Spent two full days in the Rover. Drove across town to ref a hockey game and then stopped to watch the Bruins v Avs game at the Pepsi Center (I still have the coolest truck in that parking lot....) before heading home.

Sunday, the family and friends piled in to drive to the Denver Stock Show, then south for dim sum before returning home.

A good weekend in our Rover!
        Seth

'67 IIa 109 Station Wagon (the daughter's toy)
        2003 XC70 (for the dog)
        2006 XC70 (for the wife/daughter/son)
        2002 650 Dakar (for trip planning purposes)

Comment

• rbbailey
          1st Gear
          • Sep 2010

I have been meaning to get to this rust for some time, and the brake issue that I'm working on right now gave me an excuse to open up the body panels -- so, now I'm working on the rust, brakes, electrical, seals, doors, heater, fan, and... uh... probably more that I can't think of, or don't know about yet.

light, work, painting, rover, land, series, landrover, iia

Beginning a restoration of the front half of the truck.

Comment

• Tim Smith
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by rbbailey
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhcmbailey/5376675691/

light, work, painting, rover, land, series, landrover, iia

Beginning a restoration of the front half of the truck.
            <thread hijack>
            Beautiful camera work there! Don't tell me they are all from an Iphone 4, are they?
            </thread hijack>

Comment

• siii8873
              Overdrive
              • Jul 2007

Iphone 4 and land rovers don't belong in the same conversation.
              THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
              THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
              THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
              THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
              THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
              THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• Cutter
                4th Gear
                • Feb 2009

Hmm, I use one as my speedo and to add more noise to the racket. Beautiful photos, I'm guessing it is more than a hobby...

Comment

• siii8873
                  Overdrive
                  • Jul 2007

Just kidding They are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
                  THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
                  THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
                  THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
                  THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
                  THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
                  THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• stonefox
                    4th Gear
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by siii8873
                    Iphone 4 and land rovers don't belong in the same conversation.
                    How else are you supposed to reach AAA.
                    Sean
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
                    1970 88"
                    1971 88"
                    authenticstoneworks.com

Comment

• rbbailey
                      1st Gear
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Tim Smith
                      <thread hijack>
                      Beautiful camera work there! Don't tell me they are all from an Iphone 4, are they?
                      </thread hijack>
                      Ha, ha! Thanks.

No, not an iPhone... but I did use an iPhone to light the scene. It was virtually black in there except for the light from the screen of the phone, which I used to 'paint' the areas of the truck that I wanted to show up on the camera -- which was a Nikon D200 on a tripod, shooting 20 second frames.

I then took the 4 or 5 images and layered them together in Photoshop, did a little bit here, a little bit there, and I have a much better photo than just a snap-shot with a blinding flash.

Comment

• mrdoiron
                        4th Gear
                        • Dec 2009

Ha, ha! Thanks.

No, not an iPhone... but I did use an iPhone to light the scene. It was virtually black in there except for the light from the screen of the phone, which I used to 'paint' the areas of the truck that I wanted to show up on the camera -- which was a Nikon D200 on a tripod, shooting 20 second frames.

I then took the 4 or 5 images and layered them together in Photoshop, did a little bit here, a little bit there, and I have a much better photo than just a snap-shot with a blinding flash.
                        Interesting effect... so tripod stationary, only thing varying is the iPhone light then ? Was the phone help stationary also, or was that hand held ?
                        ---------------------------
                        1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
                        1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
                        1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
                        1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
                        1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
                        2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
                        2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

• rbbailey
                          1st Gear
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by mrdoiron
                          Interesting effect... so tripod stationary, only thing varying is the iPhone light then ? Was the phone help stationary also, or was that hand held ?
                          By hand. The camera won't see anything that isn't light, so as you move the phone around, you only have to keep it moving, even, and turned away from the camera.

Imagine each of the photos on top of one another, one with the wheel lit up, one with the bulkhead, one with the bumper and headlights. Then take each of those layers and tell the computer to only show the pixels of each layer that are brighter than the pixels below it, and so on, and that is the result.

Here are some more, also done in my garage with just an iPhone for light: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhcmbai...7625001107528/

As far as the Rover is concerned. I'm doing a restoration of the front end, maybe even an engine swap. It has run really well for the past two years, but it's time to restore the things that are going bad, so something bad doesn't happen, and so I won't be into much more $$$$$$$ down the road!

Comment

• LaneRover
                            Overdrive
                            • Oct 2006

By hand. The camera won't see anything that isn't light, so as you move the phone around, you only have to keep it moving, even, and turned away from the camera.

Imagine each of the photos on top of one another, one with the wheel lit up, one with the bulkhead, one with the bumper and headlights. Then take each of those layers and tell the computer to only show the pixels of each layer that are brighter than the pixels below it, and so on, and that is the result.

Here are some more, also done in my garage with just an iPhone for light: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhcmbai...7625001107528/

As far as the Rover is concerned. I'm doing a restoration of the front end, maybe even an engine swap. It has run really well for the past two years, but it's time to restore the things that are going bad, so something bad doesn't happen, and so I won't be into much more $$$$$$$ down the road!
                            Very nice stuff. You need to do some still work for BMW or Land Rover and charge them 20G's for a days work!
                            1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                            1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                            1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                            1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• Tim Smith
                              Overdrive
                              • Nov 2006

Ha, ha! Thanks.

What a cool effect. I saw the mention of the iphone on your pages and thought they were in fact taken by one. Very ingenious and the end result is quite nice. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• mrdoiron
                                4th Gear
                                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Tim Smith
                                What a cool effect. I saw the mention of the iphone on your pages and thought they were in fact taken by one. Very ingenious and the end result is quite nice. Thanks for sharing.
                                For sure nice results that way... only problem is Photoshop costs... aren't they close to $1000 alone, then of course a decent digital SLR required on top...?

mike
                                ---------------------------
                                1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
                                1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
                                1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
                                1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
                                1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
                                2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
                                2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

Working...