Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ybt502r
    Low Range
    • Oct 2007

It's not what I did but what the better half did. I went off skiing yesterday in the Subaru. Left the Rover home in the unheated garage where it lives. Wife found out she needed some thread something urgent and - faced with a two mile walk in the cold - she fired up the Rover and drove it out. I need to preface the significance of this by noting that, while she is very accepting of my Rover and me taking care of it, she's also clear that it's "mine". She's willing to go for rides but that's where it stops. I'm pleased to report that the SIII didn't let her (or me) down, even though she didn't know where the manual choke was and drove the thing without it. She said she had to plug in the radiator hose heater for half and hour before it would run.
    77 88" SIII County SW
    82 Jp CJ8

Comment

• msggunny
      5th Gear
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by siiirhd88

Gunny, I want to see how your axle conversion works out.
      No worries, i will post pictures and a small write up.
      First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
      77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
      Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
      04 DII
      08 D3 (LR3)

Comment

• czenkov
        1st Gear
        • Sep 2008

Week in review

This week:
        The main thing was troubleshooting a persistent issue that essentially made the Rover un-drivable. Downshifting to align transmission was impossible (clutch spin?) - curiously, it was a problem only when hot, or if temps were above freezing.

1) Got fuel sender working again.
        2) Spherical Bearing - Slave Cylinder Mounting Bracket - Bodged together in lieu of parts - have parts now just haven't gotten to it.
        3) New Starter Switch (push type).
        4) Cleaned shot glass.

Today:
        1) New transmission mounts.
        2) New Clutch flex hose.
        3) Fuel filter.

The flex hose seems to have done the trick - we shall see. Productive week regardless.
        1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
        1997 D-90
        "Fear profits man, nothing"

Comment

• NickDawson
          5th Gear
          • Apr 2009

started the process of wiring up the rear window defoger (yeah, thats right, how slick is that?!?!).
          The PO installed glass with resistance strips embedded. The day I got the truck I swapped the hard top for soft top and disconnected them. Took some time today to rebuild those connections only to discover that the hot leads that run to the back of the truck are not working. I would have fixed that and my weather seals today, but it has not stopped snowing for 48 hours, and once my hands went numb it was time to quit tinkering and start driving around!

Comment

• cachinfool
            Low Range
            • Aug 2007

Removed the left footwell. Looks like I'll be replacing the lower door post too. Love my new spot weld cutter, used a standard drill bit on the right side much easier and faster with the spot weld cutter.
            How come dumb stuff always seems so smart when your doing it?
            David Crockett

Comment

• uralrover
              Low Range
              • Dec 2007

Well in the snow (as is typical this time of year) I cleaned the plugs (seem to have a grey/white build-up, not sure about that) reset my point gap which was .006 back to .015 and cleaned the carbon off the cap and rotor. Tightened the exhaust manifold and heater supply hose clamps at the coil. Checked the fan belt and checked my tappet clearence (.010) and discovered that I have an oil leak from the back of my motor where the oil supply tube is. I'll order that crush washer for the banjo bolt. Still have a Exhaust manifold leak at the exhaust pipe connection, which I blame on an errant tree. Started rebuilding a wiring harness for the back so when I pull off the hard top I'll still have my reverse lights and tried to wire in a new heater that's on order. All in all not a bad days worth of attention for the series III. I even took it out to discover if the four-wheel drive was working by taking my little truck down an ATV trail which I discovered 1/2 mile in, was now blocked by a larger tree. Tested Camel Trophy Brush guard today too. Very effective on smaller trees....

Comment

• 73series88
                5th Gear
                • Oct 2009

what i did to my rover today

well i got a used set of 31x10.5/15 BFG tires will alot of tread left on them.
                early valentines day present from my wife. i just have to adjust the steering stops. i cant believe the difference. going to the DMV on friday.
                aaron
                Last edited by 73series88; 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM.
                73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
                67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
                88 RRC sold
                60 mga coupe

Comment

• Wander
                  2nd Gear
                  • Jan 2010

I got her some seat brackets so I can get seats that fit back in her. I can't find any used seats that don't need a complete re-do which would negate any savings so I'm going to get the plain black set from our host to bolt to the box. I'd love to get the "elephant hide" seats to match the rear benches and bring back some of the original look but I just can't afford those.
                  64 IIa 88
                  94 Discovery
                  06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
                  --------------------------------------------
                  "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Comment

• yank
                    1st Gear
                    • Nov 2007

Aaron, Your truck has come a long way in a short time! Looks great.
                    72 SIII

Comment

• 73series88
                      5th Gear
                      • Oct 2009

thanks
                      i couldn't have done it without everyones help
                      crossing my fingers for the dmv.
                      aaron
                      67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
                      88 RRC sold
                      60 mga coupe

Comment

• Tim Smith
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by 73series88
                        thanks
                        i couldn't have done it without everyones help
                        crossing my fingers for the dmv.
                        aaron
                        Make sure you get the antique plates, Aaron. Our state has a wonderful property tax reduction for antique plates vs. standard.

Comment

• scott
                          Overdrive
                          • Oct 2006

i need to change this to "what did you do this month..."

none of my jobs, no matter how simple seem to get done in a day. last saturday i removed the tow plate and the pintle hook i had mounted on it last august. when doing that job i noticed a bit of rust in the xmbr behind the plate.

so back to saturday, i cut out the rust and ended with softball size hole in both the front & rear surfaces of the xmber. fab some reinforcement pieces using 2' angle iron, 1/4" plate and a skin for the outer surface of the rear xmbr. was planning on weld'n it all on but not enough time.

last night welded in the reinforcement pieces insid the xmber and drilled the 1/4" plate for the under the truck side of the and drilled the skin for the outside of the xmbr and bolted them on and decided welding these on will have to wait for another saturday.

so it looks like the repair of my rear xmbr is going to take at least 3 days with some week long rest periods in between.
                          '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
                          '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
                          '76 Spitfire 1500
                          '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• badvibes
                            3rd Gear
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scott
                            last night welded in the reinforcement pieces insid the xmber and drilled the 1/4" plate for the under the truck side of the and drilled the skin for the outside of the xmbr and bolted them on and decided welding these on will have to wait for another saturday.
                            Just a couple of pics to show the bad stuff cut out and what the finished repair will look like. I just stood around and watched.

1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Comment

• crankin
                              5th Gear
                              • Jul 2008

I added a dual accessory (cigarette lighter) and reinstalled my vent seals. I thought I was going to turn the little guy over and fire it up after a year and a half…but nothing. I hope it’s not the coils.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• 73series88
                                5th Gear
                                • Oct 2009

hey
                                i stripped the black paint off of the front bumper
                                looks alot better.
                                aaron
                                Last edited by 73series88; 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM.
                                67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
                                88 RRC sold
                                60 mga coupe

Comment

Working...